Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2015 09:00

Is there a way to flash a Compellent SC8000 BIOS to make it an Dell Poweredge R720 BIOS?

Is there a way to flash a Compellent SC8000 BIOS to make it an Dell Poweredge R720 BIOS?

Similar to how you can flash a NX3000 BIOS to make it an R710.

I've tried flashing the BIOS several different ways including the DOS update and adding /forcetype, /brandname, and /forceit.

Any help would be appreciated.  

July 17th, 2015 14:00

Hello, tjkc80.

So, the quick answer is no. You'll not be able to do that. In the case of the NX, it's simply an R710 that we've rebranded, attached an MD for added storage, and sold them as one appliance. You're able to "rebrand" that back to an R710 because it was once an R710.

In the case of the SC8000, it has only ever been a powerful storage controller. It can't be "flashed" into a server of any kind, as it has never been a server. It is built and designed as a storage controller.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2015 06:00

Hello,

I was about to ask the same question, glad @tjkc80 did it before me. Thanks for the answer Daniel Ca, atleast I know that im not able to do that, solve the problem !

Regards,

Julien

3 Posts

August 28th, 2015 05:00

hmm... one moment... The SC8000 is a Dell R720 server running the Storage Centre OS. So,  sc8000 it's basically R720 server, with added FC cards, and flash "cache card" inside pci slot. So it's basically common Dell server equipped with some additional cards. You can search internet for SC8000 "inside" pictures, and compare them with R720 server. I suppose that motherboard is same like R720 server, only flashed with special BIOS code.

October 2nd, 2018 01:00

please i ask where we could download the ISO BIOS image

• 

7.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 08:00

Hello bianconero2018,

The ISO for any SCOS is not available for download.  The ISO is only allowed to be given to Dell tech support.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Posts

October 15th, 2022 01:00

Hello,

i know, it is 7 years old thread. But i see always people still searching this.

You can do following on SC8000 Servers:

• Upgrade the iDrac7 Firmware to the latest version (on Webgui of iDrac7)
  • After upgrade of idrac, you can also flash latest R720 BIOS through iDrac Webgui
  • You can rebrand the SC8000 to DELL R720 or R720XD with OEM or DELL Identity Module File through iDrac7 Webgui (please search on google "DELL R720 DELL Branded ID Module", DELL offers this file officially on the support page)
  • You can update all the firmwares on Linux or Windows with DELL Repository Manager created SUUImage for R720 or R720XD Servers.
  • You can put backplanes, raid controller etc. from R720 also.

Only some restrictions that i could not get change were:

• You dont have the Firmware Update Option in Lifecycle Controller. It is somehow locked down. How to release the restriction, there is no info, nowhere.
  • After rebranding the SC8000 to R720 or R720XD you receive a Warning "New SLP2 blobs will NOT be collected on this boot. Applying SLP2 standard policy (SLP2=Disabled-Loecked / Not available). What it can cause, i can not tell.
  • iDrac7 has a Enterprise license but you can not export the license. But it is fully as Enterprise usable. After rebranding it is also as Enterprise usable. You can not remove the license also. It is somehow embedded license. Note: it is fully as Enterprise Version after Rebranding usable!

These are my experiences for who is looking for these info. 

No Events found!