Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 9th, 2014 07:00

MD3000 Battery Replacement Required after trying 2 new batteries.

Current configuration                                       
            Firmware version:         07.35.39.64                    
               Appware version:       07.35.39.64                    
               Bootware version:      07.35.39.64

After replacing a battery twice in just a few days I am still getting "Battery Replacement Required".

I have set readCacheEnabled=False and then back to True and then set the learnCycleDate daysToNextLearnCycle=0

the log says "RAID Controller Module cache battery is fully charged" but I still have the Battery Replacement Required in the status.

Any ideas

• 

7.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 09:00

Hello bfreedlander,

When you look at the back of the raid controllers in your MD3000 is the battery light lit on the controllers or are they off? Also if you look in the Recovery Guru does it state that the battery is still faulted and needs to be replaced?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

September 9th, 2014 12:00

battery lights are off.

Recovery Guru

Battery Replacement Required

Storage array:  HomeArray

Component reporting problem:  Battery

Location:  RAID Controller Module enclosure 0, RAID Controller Module in Slot 1

Component requiring service:  RAID Controller Module 1

Service action (removal) allowed:  No  

Service action LED on component:  No

• 

7.1K Posts

September 9th, 2014 13:00

Hello bfreedlander,

Since both the battery lights are off then it most likely is that the error is hanging & won’t clear MDSM.  So what you will need to do is to remove the MD3000i from MDSM & add it back again. Now this will have no impact on the data that is being access on the san, this is just for management.  If that doesn’t resolve the error then what you may need to do is to uninstall MDSM & then reinstall it again.  

September 9th, 2014 19:00

I removed the md3000 and re-added it. This did not help. I did not remove the mdsm from the server with the md3000 but I did add the software to my desktop, added the md3000 and the problem still exists. Does the mdsm have to be on one of the servers that is using the md3000? Should I disable and enable the cache again followed by performing another learn session?

1 Message

September 16th, 2014 12:00

How important are these batteries? Will the system operate without them?

• 

7.1K Posts

September 16th, 2014 13:00

Hello Glock 19,

You can run the MD3000 without batteries, but in doing so you will not have any data caching available and in the event that you have a power outage any data that was not written to disk will also be lost.  Also since data caching is disabled you will see slower speeds when trying to access data.

September 18th, 2014 06:00

I removed and reinstalled the manager on the server that hosts the md3000. This did not work. I recycled the power on the md3000 last night. It came back ok but this morning the amber light was flashing with the same replace the battery.

Another issue of running without the batteries is the amber warning light staying on. You could miss a bad drive warning because the light was already amber.

Any other ideas would be welcomed

September 18th, 2014 09:00

I have 2 md3000. I swapped the new battery with an old working battery in my other md3000. I still have the replace battery problem on the same problem machine. This leads me to believe that the controller, itself, is bad.

Any comments would be appreciated.

No Events found!