Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2020 11:00

MD32 controller shows "online" but also says "Could not communicate with the RAID Controller module"

I had some power outages (and my UPS failed) which put both my MD32 RAID controllers in lockdown.  I was able to run clearHardwareLockdown on each controller and it seemed to fix the Slot 0 contoroller, I then had t click on the Slot 1 controller and bring it "online" which seemed to do the trick.

Now I have a "Needs Attention" warning and when the Recovery Guru comes up, it says that the Preferred owner is the controller in Slot 0 but the current owner is Slot 1.  The Guru says that once it is placed back online, to "Redistribute the Virtual Disks" but it looks like I have another issue --  In the PowerVault Modular Disk Storage Manager / Hardware, I can click on both controllers and they both have a Status of "Online".  When I look at the controller in Slot 1, I see that the NVSRAM version is "Not Applicable".  When I click on the "View Complete RAID Controller Module Properties" link for that controller, it says that it cannot communicate with it.

I was thinking about upgrading the Firmware on both controllers (currently on 7.84.53.60) to see if that fixes the NVSRAM issue on the Slot 1 controller but don't want to make it any worse.

Anyone have any ideas?2020-06-29_13-15-45.jpg2020-06-29_13-16-14.jpg2020-06-29_13-17-22.jpg

June 29th, 2020 13:00

Well, all green lights now!!  I had never configured the management ports with an IP address on the controllers, always just relied on the hard connection to the controllers....  Once I configured the IPs and then added the storage array (out of band) with the IPs, I was able to see the NVRAM information for both controllers.  I then ran the "redistribute" disks and all green lights now!  Before this I was also getting a request (and subsequent failure) to sync the clocks.  Now that works just fine.

No Events found!