MD3200 - Degraded Physical Disk Channel

Hi all.

I have MD3200 storage in my company and I see this error message recently:

---

Degraded Physical Disk Channel
Storage array: BLABLABLA01
Degraded physical disk channel: 1
What Caused the Problem?

A physical disk channel status was set to Degraded because of excessive I/O errors or because a Technical Support Representative advised the storage array's administrator to manually set the physical disk channel status for diagnostic or other support reasons. The Recovery Guru Details area provides specific information you will need as you follow the recovery steps.
Important Notes.

---

That error was only an HD with problem and after replaced that error is gone. But I've got a doubt. What is this "Physical Disk Channel"?What does it connect? How does it work? It can be replaced, configured or do another error unrelated with the HD?

Sorry about the bad english. tks 4 all.

• 

7.1K Posts

December 6th, 2019 12:00

Hello RDomRex,

The physical disk channel is how the drives talk to your controllers.  The channel is the connection from your drives to your controllers.  In most cases you don’t need to replace, you just need toto reset the channel stats, & that will resolve your degraded physical disk channel error.  Here are the steps to clear and rest the channel stats. You will need to use SMCLI to run the commands.

clear allPhysicalDiskChannels stats;

set physicalDiskChannel [0] status=optimal;

set physicalDiskChannel [1] status=optimal;

set physicalDiskChannel [2] status=optimal;

set physicalDiskChannel [3] status=optimal;

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2019 12:00

Hi, Sam L. Thanks for your reply.

Just one more question: Why does the storage have more than one channel? I can find witch HD uses witch channel?

Tks again.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 13th, 2019 14:00

A channel is the path to the controller for the Hard drive, at times one can drop due to error or path issue. They are internal connections. Having multiple drives would mean having multiple connections, leading to multiple channels. Replacing the drive should resolve the issue, just leaving the degraded state. It looks like they should be listed within MDSM. Hardware > Enclosure > View/Edit > Physical Disks should be the path you need.

No Events found!