Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2015 12:00

MD3200 and R710

Is the R710 and MD3200 supported for Windows Server 2012 R2 for Hyper-V clustering?  I was thinking of setting up a two node cluster for experimenting and testing.

I would use two R710's and a MD3200 for shared storage.

JamesNT

December 22nd, 2015 14:00

Hello, James.

According to the Support Matrix it is. You'll find it listed under supported Virtualization Hosts / Hypervisors** on page 41: downloads.dell.com/.../MD32XX_MD36XX_Support%20Matrix_EN.pdf

On that note, I'd also take the time to verify your cabling, and assure you're redundant. (High Availability)

Here's a link to the Deployment Guide. You'll find the suggested cabling guidelines starting on page 14: downloads.dell.com/.../powervault-md3200i_Deployment%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a happy holiday!

17 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 07:00

Daniel,

Thank you very much for your response.  Two more questions, if I may:

Do you think the R710 and MD3200 will be ok with Windows Server 2016?  Do note that this is all for learning in my home lab, not for production.  I just need to know if it will work, not necessary supported by Dell.  When it comes to getting stuff for production, my Dell sales rep is on speed dial.  :)

What do you think of this post?  It seems to cover most everything.

http://faultbucket.ca/2011/01/hyper-v-failover-cluster-setup/

Thank you again for all your help!

JamesNT

December 23rd, 2015 11:00

Hey, James.

First, that post is amazing. That gentleman did QUITE a bit of work on it, and I'm impressed. It would appear he covered most everything, and I'm hard pressed to think of something he didn't mention.

Second, would it work? I can almost guarantee it. Not supported, no. Honestly I think the only things you'll have trouble with is finding drivers / firmware and multi-path drivers, and making them function smoothly. Like, they may function in that you'll be able to present storage to the hosts, cut out your space, lay volumes, and virtual servers, etc. BUT, under a load you may see some inconsistencies and at best a quirky environment.

But, soon enough the vendor firmware / drivers and MPIO drivers will catch up, I just wouldn't place critical data on it until then.

Hope that helps.

(I saved that link for future assistance with others. Thanks!)

No Events found!