Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

August 2nd, 2013 10:00

MD3220 will not bring up Service Interface

We have purchased 2 used Powervault MD3220s (and 2 MD1200s as well).  I was able to setup one 3220 through the serial cable Service Interface and MDSM. However the other storage arrays will not bring up the Service Interface.

While connected to the serial port with putty, I press Ctrl- and press "S" and it simply sits there until I hit "Enter". It then gives me a -> prompt.

It also gives me an error for which I was not able to find any documentation.

NOTE:  Turning on tray summary fault LED
ERROR: SBB ICID value bad
WARN:  Suspending Ctlr: "SBB_Ctlr_Validation_Failed"
NOTE:  Flashing tray summary fault LED
WARN:  Controller entering ClientErr lockdown state..

If I type help it gives me several options, most of them seem to be very low level commands (tasks, memory settings, etc). Nothing to do with changing the IP address.

I've tried the  lemClearLockdown command, which I found elsewhere on this forum, but it doesn't get me out of the shell.

Also, MDSM doesn't find them even though I can ping them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: the MD 1200s use the MD36 RAID modules, the MD3220s use the MD32 modules.
Additionally none of the data is important. The hard drives are brand new.

Dan

• 

6.9K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 13:00

Hello Dan,

What you can try to do is to remove one of the controller on the MD3220 & boot it with a single controller in it.  Once it has finished booting then you can insert the second controller and it should clear the error.  If the error still remains then I would suggest that you contact support and open a case as they will need the serial cable attached to the working controller so that they can reset the MD & clear the error.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

August 6th, 2013 12:00

I've tried your suggestion with no luck.

I've logged in via serial port on all of these controllers. Five out of seven enter Client error lockdown. The error is "SBB ICID value bad". I'm not sure if that's a hardware issue or something I can set.

It looks like SBB may be related to Storage Bridge Bay, allowing compatibility with various iSCSI modules. Has anyone encountered this error before?

57 Posts

August 7th, 2013 19:00

Is it possible to swap controllers between the MD3220 units, to see whether the issue you are getting follows the controller, or whether it stays where it is?  That would at least tell you whether the controller is at fault, or whether the problem is in the MD3220 chassis somehow (i.e. the I/face where the controller plugs in).

August 8th, 2013 08:00

Yes, I've tested every module in a single array since I last posted. Two of the modules work, the other five give the same error. I tested them in another array to be safe and the modules all behave consistently.

I should probably test all the arrays with the good modules to be thorough, but there is clearly something wrong with modules. I just hope it's something I can set rather than bad hardware.

57 Posts

August 8th, 2013 16:00

I think you're going to have to get some assistance direct from Dell's engineering people.  Sounds like either (a) the firmware in the controller(s) is incompatible with whatever is in the chassis (probably unlikely); or maybe (b) they got 'fried' in some kind of electrical event and maybe the firmware needs to be reloaded on them from scratch?  I'm not an engineer, just a customer, so I'm usually stuck with a strategy of "plug it in; if it doesn't work, call Dell".

August 13th, 2013 16:00

These are out of warranty from Dell. We decided to go back our vendor and see if we can't get a solution or replacements. Thanks for everyone's help.

42 Posts

March 4th, 2014 16:00

Did you ever get any answers? I am in a similar situation with a handful of MD3200s and 3220s (same controllers). I have had success with lemClearLockdown on a few of them. But I have a whole stack of controllers that give a different lockdown code, SODReboot Lockdown state.

I cannot do anything to them at this point, cannot enter the service interface,  I get the prompt after CTRL+Break but shift+S takes me nowhere, it never asks for the password. I don't even get a console, I cannot enter even the most basic commands through serial. There is no cursor, it just lets me enter text into puTTy but nothing happens. That is why these are dead in the water, I can ping them all day, but MDSM doesn't pick them up. I have one controller that works fine, I have been swapping it simplex/duplex and trying the other controllers. (have tried 5+ chassis and multiple sets of HDDs)

Anyway, they do not just magically mirror like the MD3KxS do when you simplex/duplex them and re-install the "faulty" controller. I've got one MD32XX under warranty so I believe I will have to go into chat.

• 

6.9K Posts

March 5th, 2014 09:00

Hello JW,

Have you tried to remove the raid battery from the controllers?  If not then what you can do is to remove the controller from the back of the MD and then remove the raid battery & leave it out for about 10 minutes.  Once that is done then put the raid battery back into the MD controller and put the controller back into the MD and then power on the MD & see if it completes post & comes up will both controllers online and Drives online as well.

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 11:00

Hi friends

I have the similar problem MD3200i with controllers in LockDown mode but I can´t get the prompt from serial console to run clearlockdowm command ( I press shift+S but nothing happens ). Can You help me ?

Tks

MarcioLM

• 

6.9K Posts

February 1st, 2018 12:00

Hello marciolm10,

What is the Baud rate that you are using to connecting to your MD3220?  You should be using 115200-8-n-1.  Also, terminal emulation software to make the connection?  Last is which lockdown state are you showing on your controller?

No Events found!