Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 6th, 2013 03:00

MD3620i in Nagios

Hello,

is it possible to monitor the MD3620i in Nagios?

I tried a how to for using smcli but it didn't worked for me.

685 Posts

November 6th, 2013 11:00

It all depends on if the MIB files between the ones with the MD3620 and the ones in the software work together. We recommend using MDSM (Modular Disk Storage Manager).

www.dell.com/.../powervault-md3620i

Above is the link for the management software that you can install on the host. Please let me know if you need anything else or if you have any questions.

November 7th, 2013 00:00

Thanks for information.

I've already installed the software on my computer, but I don't want to have the programm open all the time and check manually if the md is okay.

The E-Mail notification can't be used, cause we need auhorization for smtp.

The software doesn't support that.

We monitor everything with nagios  - why not the md too?

685 Posts

November 14th, 2013 16:00

You may be able to but being that it is a 3rd party app we don't know 100% if it will work as it has not been tested.

December 5th, 2013 23:00

I don't understand how i will be able to monitor when there is no plugin?

2 Posts

December 6th, 2013 00:00

As long as Dell is concerned, you are supposed to monitor it using MDSM, which is Dell's provided software for the MD3 series array; Nagios is not a Dell supported solution. In other words, you are not supposed to directly monitor the MD3 but you need to use an attached system with Dell's software on it.

I don't know if the MD36xxi has SNMP or something else on board, should be identical to the MD32xxi series, whose controllers will only respond to icmp ping (mostly useless) and SMI-S protocol (still have to find a more-or-less-usable open source solution, there's some stuff out there but not anything that resemble a directly runnable check). So you must run 24/7 the agent part of MDSM on a connected system and that will give you some monitoring'esque features: email alerts, snmp traps, and maybe something more.

No Events found!