Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 29th, 2014 09:00

Management and fans on the MD1200

I have a couple MD1200 storage units and have recently moved them to a new area.  Outside of a noisy lab environment and into a quieter area.  The computers themselves moved fine, but these MD1200 units are noisy even when idling.  Besides the noise had a few questions.  Hoping someone can help.

1. I noticed both power supply fans run regardless if you have both power supplies physically plugged into power.  Besides it erroring on the front display, do you have to have both active?  Other than failure does it run differently?
  2. With the fan noise, I haven't taken the unit apart yet, but from reading seems a fan in each power supply is the only form of cooling?  Does anyone know if the fans can be slowed down or replaced with quieter supplies?  Not concerned about warranty.
  3. I keep hearing about this web based management tool, think called Server Administrator.  I am having trouble locating this software.  Assuming it can run on top of Windows 7?  I found two DVD's on Dell's site, one I could open the other that I couldn't.  When I opened what I think was the server administrator on the DVD it immediately launched a browser and was a dead page.  Any help with this would be appreciated.
  4. With the Server Administrator, can you manage fan speeds and the like?

Thanks.

JR

59 Posts

January 5th, 2015 06:00

I can answer my question 3 and 4.  Installed OpenManage but it just shows fan running or failed.  No rotational information or anything to set.

Also since the MD1200 has two fans connected together I found in the power supply housing, guessing for more pressure, when you disconnect one of them from the four pin connector, the system goes into alert and starts running all the fans 100%.  Curious how far the monitoring goes now if I was to put a different PWM fan in there that had slower rotation and/or ran quieter.

No Events found!