Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 22nd, 2008 14:00

Need help with MD3000 please

We have a MD 3000 that I need some help configuring please. It's got 5 SAS drives and 9 SATA drives, and the unit itself is attached to a Dell Poweredge 2950 running Win2K3 server. The server box itself has two LSI SAS 5/E adapters in it. The setup is in a single host with redundant data paths setup.

Here are my issues.

1) Somewhere along the lines the virtual access disk got deleted, so I can only access the MD 3000 through out-of-band management. I show Zero in-band connections and the SAS cards show no activity. I need to know how to fix this. I've tried using SMcli 10.27.x.x -c "clear storagearray configuration;" and that seems to have reset the array itself, but did not restore my in-band connections.

2) Also, when I open the MD 3000 management counsel, I get a message saying "The storage array contains a RAID controller module that has not been added". Is this related to the above problem? If not, where do I add this?

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

175 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 16:00

The MD3000 can be fully managed out-of-band, as such in-band is not required. For out-of-band management ensure that the Ethernet management port of each controller is connected to the same subnet. 

If you do want to utilize in-band management also, the "Access" virtual disk will need to be mapped to the host manually since it was deleted. I should note to forum readers that the virtual disk named "Access" is mapped to all hosts and should really not be deleted.  To reestablish the mapping of Access to the host first create the host if not already completed. Then go to Configure->Create Host-to-Virtual Disk Mappings, select the host then click Next, select the virtual disk named "Access", change the logical unit number (LUN) to 31, and click Finish.

Next for good measure Stop and then Start the Modular Disk Storage Manager Agent on the host itself (this provides the in-band management). 

Discover the array either Automatically or Manually by providing the host name or IP and the in-band management path will be established.  

Dave

Message Edited by dzenz on 09-22-2008 12:33 PM

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2008 17:00

Thanks Dzenz, that did the trick. I had done everything you suggested prior except for the Discover new array part. Once I did that, I had all my connections back. Thanks! :)

10 Posts

February 16th, 2009 05:00

Hello,

I have the same setup like bricke75 except that it is not redundant. I have just started the in-band management and I get that MD is partially managed and the following message:

"The storage array contains a RAID controller module that has not been added".  How do I go about it. The "Access" virtual disk has LUN 31 and is mapped to my host. If I click on Change button in mappring it dosen't give me any options so as to change the mapping.

I used the add_host (or something like this) utility as the message says but nothing happens.

Is there anything to do?

Thanks,

9.3K Posts

February 16th, 2009 07:00

If the array has 2 raid controllers, you need to be able to manage both controllers.

I'd suggest to plug the 2nd controller into your network (for out of band management), and set an IP for it under the tools tab in the Modular Disk Storage Manager (MDSM). Then remove the array from MDSM (at the top of the UI) and have it rediscovered to verify you can see it being managed out of band via both controllers. After that you can try the previous suggestions. (Note: removing the array from MDSM doesn't affect the data/config of the array, nor does it affect the connectivity from the server(s) using disk space).

10 Posts

February 17th, 2009 06:00

Thanks a lot. I plugged both ethernet cables for 2 controllers and was able to get rid of the message and to manage the MD. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. I see Array not optimal sign in UI next to Storay Array name, is there something missing?

2. In UI I have noticed two hosts being in-band managed although I have one. If I click the More link I see the host server and the localhost, is that correct?

3. After creating VDs it asks to use the appropriate procedures (such as hot_add or other method, and the SMdevices utility) to register the virtual disk on you host. Is that done simply by running the batches found under util folder?

4. Operations in progress show Intialization in progress. Is there a way to know what the % of progress is?

5. What is the best way to start from scratch a fully clean start? I guess it can be done via CLI using a simply command like clean or clear. But how do I go about using the CLI.

Sorry for all these questions but I'm really a newbie :emotion-2:

Thanks a lot in advance.

175 Posts

February 17th, 2009 15:00

> 1. I see Array not optimal sign in UI next to Storay Array name, is there something missing?

On the Summary Tab the Status port will indicate that the array "Needs Attention", clink this link and a new window will open with details of the situation.

> 2. In UI I have noticed two hosts being in-band managed although I have one. If I click the More link I see the host server and the localhost, is that correct?

That is correct.

> 3. After creating VDs it asks to use the appropriate procedures (such as hot_add or other method, and the SMdevices utility) to register the virtual disk on you host. Is that done simply by running the batches found under util folder?

hot_add is OS dependent and is only required on older Linux dists. You should see the VD as a disk device just as you typically see any disk drive.

> 4. Operations in progress show Intialization in progress. Is there a way to know what the % of progress is?

VD initialization is a background process that is independent of how the array is used for any operation, it's essentially "invisible" to using the array.

> 5. What is the best way to start from scratch a fully clean start? I guess it can be done via CLI using a simply command like clean or clear. But how do I go about using the CLI.

"clear storageArray configuration" will DELETE all array capacity and host configuration, use it carefully!

The CLI guide can be found at:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3000/en/2ndGen/CLI/PDF/CLIMR2g.pdf

39 Posts

August 10th, 2011 21:00

Dave, you did NOT answer the person's question (#4) - he never asked "where initialization is 'invisible' " - so your answer was tottaly inappropriate. He asked, and I am asking the same: Regarding initialization in MDSM,

"Is there a way to know what the % of progress is?"

You can say that the initialization is a "background/invisible" process all you want, but it is NOT "invisible to using the arrray," as you said above - My large (over 1 TB) disk shows "initializing" and it will not let me do certain processes (setting/assigning clustered disks) - apparently not until the "initialization" is finished.

So, the question still stands: IS there a way to tell % progress regarding the initialization, as this seems to be crucial to being able to continue configuring the cluster and assigning the LUNs to certain clustered services? In my case, I had to shrink the largest LUN, create another LUN in MDSM - 1 GB, for MSDTC; then re-create the initial 1TB+ LUN as the data partition.

For example, since my Disk #2 is not finished initializing, if I try to bring it on-line, I get:

"Cluster resource 'Cluster Disk 2' in clustered service or application 'Available Storage' failed."

9.3K Posts

August 11th, 2011 07:00

For the MD3000's MDSM you have to use the command line version of MDSM (smcli).

The command will be something like this:

smcli -n array_name -c "show virtualdisk [\"virtualdiskname\"] actionprogress";

847 Posts

August 11th, 2011 13:00

smcli IPADDRESSofOwningController -p password -c "show virtualDisk [VIRTUALDISKNAME] actionProgress";

If you have a password on the array

smcli UPADDRESSofOwningController -c "show virtualDisk [VIRTUALDISKNAME] actionProgress";

If you don't have a password on the array

These are great to have,  they tell you all sorts of progress stuff.   Like on a copyback after a drive replacement.

No Events found!