Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 4th, 2007 12:00

OpenSource Software for PowerVault ML6000

Hi all,

Need some help in managing PowerVault ML6000 Series.

I have a PowerVault ML6000 and all the software to use with it is not free.

Does any one know  any open source software that i can use for red hat 4 enterprise, to manage this PowerVault?

Im thinking in bacula, but i don´t know if is compliante.

Thanks in advance for a replay.

Best Regards.

April 5th, 2007 03:00

I am not sure of any free software that runs this library, but just a couple of items you may want to consider being that this is a enterprise class library.  A good tape backup software program will:

* Manage your media sets and catalog them.
* Track what media cartridge data is written to including spanning across media.
* Verify that data is written safely to the tape cartridge.
* Track statistics of media, drives and cleaning.
..etc

You may want to take advantage of the trial period of tape backup software (i.e. Backup Exec) to see how well it works for you, and maybe you would consider this your application to use.

Be careful of open source software because they can have a flaw that no one is aware of and you may think you are backing up data only to find out too late that data was not backed up properly.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

April 5th, 2007 11:00

An ML6000 isn't a low cost tape solution from what I can tell on the Dell sales site (they show the PV132T to start at around US$6500 and the TL4000 to start around US$9100, where the ML6000 is listed as higher end than that (pices as of 4/5/07 here)).

If you have the budget to spend on an ML6000, can the budget not be extended a little bit to include commercial backup software, especially as your company is going to rely on the tape backups at one point or another most likely?

Message Edited by Dev Mgr on 04-05-2007 07:36 AM

899 Posts

April 6th, 2007 17:00

Keep in mind also that Dell will not be able to offer any ISV solution help if you decide to use an open source application.

14 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 18:00

On a related note, I also have an ML6000 on a PE2950 running SLES10. I'm evaluating a commercial backup product as y'all suggest, but have been having problems with the ML6000 sometimes losing communication with the backup software. When this occurs, I can see the device from the OS, and I can control it directly via the Web interface, but that doesn't tell me if it's responding correctly via the SCSI bus. To avoid finger-pointing between SUSE support and the backup vendor, I'm wondering if there are any (opensource) tools available to simply test that the ML6000's SG control device is indeed operational.

899 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 19:00

I have not used MTX for the ML series but have used it on other libraries. There should be no reason it should not work....

with that said.... let us know what you find :smileyhappy:

Bob

14 Posts

May 2nd, 2007 19:00

I did a bit more poking around and found MTX. It is not currently enabled on my SLES system, but it sound like it may do what I need. Will it work with the ML6000?

5 Posts

October 15th, 2018 04:00

Hello, Did you find any solution for this ? Regards, malango
No Events found!