baagii04
1 Copper

Oracle RAC on MD3000i

Jump to solution

Hello,

I need to setup Oracle RAC 11g ASM on Dell MD3000i storage.

I have MD3000i storage and two PowerEdge6850 servers.  I connected the storage to servers directly without any switch. I plugged a cable from controller 1 to server 1 for manage. Then I plugged a cable from iscsi port  1(controller 1) to  server 1 and a cable from iscsi port 2 (controller 1) to server 2. I'm using Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 x64 and asmLib package. But I can't create correct shared storage. So clusterware installation always fail.(I think the problem is, for example, if I create a folder from the first node I can't see folder from the second node which is created from the first node)

Could you please me to accomplish this task.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tommo666
4 Tellurium

Re: Oracle RAC on MD3000i

Jump to solution

The disk created on the MD can only belong to one contoller, meaning it can't be seen by servers connected to contoller 2. To direct attach 2 servers for cluster use, you need four nic connections. Server 1 connects to cntr 1 port 0 and cntr 2 port 1, Server 2 connects to cntr 1 port 1 and cntr 2 port 0.

This would give you multi path availability and each server would see disks on iether controller.

Cabling guide and considerations here 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tommo666
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

The disk created on the MD can only belong to one contoller, meaning it can't be seen by servers connected to contoller 2. To direct attach 2 servers for cluster use, you need four nic connections. Server 1 connects to cntr 1 port 0 and cntr 2 port 1, Server 2 connects to cntr 1 port 1 and cntr 2 port 0.

This would give you multi path availability and each server would see disks on iether controller.

Cabling guide and considerations here 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

View solution in original post

baagii04
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help.

Each of PowerEdge6850 servers has 3 ethernet cards which will be used for Oracle RAC interconnect, public, private connections. And I need additional three ethernet cards to iscsi and management ports.

So is there any solution in this situation?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

As tommo666 mention, you'd need 2 NICs dedicated to iSCSI on each host; one to each controller.

The management ports need to be plugged into your LAN or if you use a management network/vlan, that's an option too. To use MDSM you need to be able to communicate with both raid controller's management ports simultaneously.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
Highlighted
baagii04
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos