Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2011 11:00

PERC 5/E adapter RAID Problems

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I have a MD1000 that is connected to a PowerEdge 2950.  The MD1000 is in configuration mode “unify” and its firmware version is A.04.  The PowerEdge 2950 that the MD1000 is connected to is running Server 2003 Enterprise R2 32-bit using the PERC 5/E adapter.  I have installed six 600GB drives and I would like to create a virtual group using all six of them in a RAID-5 set.  However, when doing so I run into problems.

I step through the “Create Virtual Disk Wizard” selecting Advance Mode, selecting RAID-5, selecting all six drives, setting the parameters for the Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE policies and such, and then clicking finish.  When it goes back to the virtual disk screen where it lists all the virtual disks within the MD1000, it displays the newly created virtual disk as RAID-50.  I have tried this with only selecting three physical drives and it still displays the newly created virtual disk as a RAID-50.  Which in the above practice, it would be impossible to have a RAID-50 with only three physical drives.

Does anyone know why this is occurring?  Thank you for you help.

June 1st, 2011 08:00

I updated my Dell OpenManage from version 5.1 to version 5.2 and it fixed the problem.

May 15th, 2011 11:00

I do not know why "Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE" shows up in my post.  please disregard that.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 16th, 2011 07:00

Is your server running Windows or Linux? If so, I'd suggest to install the Open Manage Server Administrator and configure the raid from there to see if it yields a different result.

May 16th, 2011 07:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Thank you for your reply.  I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 with Dell OpenManage installed.  OpenMange is a nice administrator tool to capture the status of your current hardware configurations so that is why I was using that to produce the RAIDs.

No Events found!