Re: POWERVAULT TL2000 CONTINOUSLY TAGS MEDIA TAPE AS "B

Hello Ethernal,

How old is the media that you are using? Have you tried to do a full erase on the media, then try to do a backup?  Also can I get you to send me a service dump log from your TL2000.  To get the service dump you go to the view logs tab. You should show a button that says Save Service Dump. If you don’t have that button then select the view button, & then the Save Service Dump should show.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

DELL-Sam L
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Ethernal
1 Copper

Hello DELL-Sam L,

These media I'm using are about 3 years old (with backuped data), but I tried to make a backup on the new ones (empty) with this same effect - "Bad Tape" alert after they goes from tape-drive.

I sent to You a private message with service dump log.

Greetings, Ethernal.

0 Kudos

Hello Ethernal,

Since you have used both new and old media and have cleaned the drive I would say that you are going to need to replace the drive.  In most cases when you get this issue we will have you try new media and see if the issue keeps happening.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
MarcioC
1 Copper

I have the same issue with new media, which are marked as bad tape. Recently, we change the drive for a new one and update the drive and library firmware, but the problem persists. How I can send the drive dump for analyze?
0 Kudos

i think when i had this issue i retired all media, deleted it then reinventored. i was using the same bardcodes so i think backup exec was marking them as bad.

0 Kudos
Polym
1 Nickel

Hi. We had a similar issue and gave it to the diagnostic, the result of which "the drive cannot be restored, the magnetic head is excessively magnetized, demagnetization does not help, the controller fails initialization". As the result, we replaced the new LTO-6 HH SAS Tape Drive instead of broken LTO-5.

0 Kudos
SimonHan
1 Copper

Hi. I'm getting the same errors on a Dell TL2000 with IBM Ultrium 6 Tape Drives.

The drive was cleaned 2 days ago, but subsequent VEEAM backup jobs fail with "Tape Positioning Error".

When I go to physically check on the TL2000 and attempt to move tapes into the Drive with the Interface, I get an error saying "ME:invalid cartridge - Code 63". The Inventory then shows "Bad tape" whether it's new, old or a cleaning tape.  Can you help please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

more than likely the drive issue, do you have 1 or 2 drives?

0 Kudos
SimonHan
1 Copper

We have two drives (LTO 4 and LTO 6) , but we only use the LTO 6 .
I've updated the Firmware for both the Library and Drives, but the problem still occurs.

0 Kudos

Hello SimonHan,

In most cases when you have tried multiple media and they all get marked as bad, as tapelibraryfixer has stated it means that there is an issue with the drive.  The best way to tell if it is the drive is to pull a drive dump log from your tape drive so that we can see the errors that the drive is reporting. Here is a link that has how you can get the log. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln156606/itdt-dcr-for-windows-how-to-use-ibm-total-st...

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

DELL-Sam L

0 Kudos