Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2005 18:00

PV 745n intermittenly freezes for 5-10 seconds during heavy loads

We're using our 745n as a file hoster on a small image hosting service.  From time to time, especially during backups (but not always), the disc subsystem seems to completely stop responding.  The system is still available (via remote desktop), and permon, taskman, etc continue to run, but there's no output from the network share setup on the box.

Pages/sec drop to zero, CPU use pretty much flattens out, and the system, at least for a few seconds, seems to just freeze.

Avg. Pages per second is around 280.

Any ideas?

11 Posts

October 17th, 2005 02:00

I wanted to add the one thing that really triggers this is deleting folders with any amount of content (50+ files).  Just freezes the whole file system (not the OS) for about 5 seconds.

21 Posts

May 26th, 2006 08:00

Yep, mine did this too.  I was chatting with a Windows OS MVP who had me look at all sorts of performance counters and his best guess was a bad driver.

Mine got better when I wiped out the RAID 5 partition and replaced it with a RAID 10 one.  I think the RAID controller is sheet.

Is yours working any better now?

Joel.

11 Posts

May 26th, 2006 12:00

No better.  We actually stopped using it for anything but backups.  We tried everything, including a recomplete re-imaging of the system (which is not trivial and requires a remote workstation).

21 Posts

May 26th, 2006 12:00

Our situation was actually more complex as we originally had a 725n (Parallel ATA, Windows 2000) which did the same thing I shouted enough until we eventually got it swapped for a 745n but not before we'd had a new motherboard, RAID controller and all new drives.

The 745n then did the same thing (also despite re-imaging a couple of times).  We then looked at whether it could be our switch (Dell Powerconnect managed gigabit jobby) or other network factors.  However I put it on a crossover cable to an Optiplex GX260 and it mis-behaved under load again.

Didn't get anywhere with support, we also now just use it as a backup-to-disk device.

I think that either Dell do something fundamentally weird in their build, or MS do something wrong in the SAK or there's something dodgy about the PowerVault specific-drivers.

We have a PowerEdge 650 which is practically identical hardware and have none of the same problems.

I posted on these newsgroups a while ago and suspect that other people have this issue aswell.  I reckon Dell know about it.  However, now the 745n is EOL I don't hold out much hope of it getting resolved.

Joel.

21 Posts

May 26th, 2006 13:00

FYI I ruled out the network drivers.  My 725n had Broadcom nics, and then the 745n had Intel NICs.

The lockups are very strange, absolutely everything stops, an RDP session may time out, if you're on the console Taskmanager freezes (including the CPU graphs).  I found there to be very little evidence that the lock-up had occurred because like you say it was sooo brutal.

I did briefly look at trying to put proper Adaptec drivers on for the controller (rather than Dell ones).  However Adaptec now require you to register and put in serial numbers before they let you at the drivers.

Adaptec seem to be quite a way ahead with the drivers so maybe they've already fixed it !?? (Assuming it's the RAID controller at fault of course).

11 Posts

May 26th, 2006 13:00

Yeah, I think its got to be something with the RAID or network drivers.

Under load, ours behaved as if it just shut itself down for a few seconds at a time, every 5-10 seconds.  That's brutal if you're using it in a production environment.

745n was definately not Ready For Prime Time, and we also got nowhere with support.

Luckily (for Dell) the 775's and 220's perform very well.  We've moved beyond even that to an EMC CX300 shelf direct attached to 2 775's, and the performance gain is phenomenal over the 220 SCSI direct attach.

I'd still like to use the 745n for small applications, if there's a resolution anyone comes up with, I'm up to try anything.

No Events found!