Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2004 18:00

PV715N and upgrading hard disks..

I got a batch of Maxtor 250Gb ATA133 (same hard disk that comes in the newer 725N) disks so I thought it's upgrade my 715N.   Killed the raid 5 set, then took out disk 1, re-mirrored the C: to the new 250 drive.  Sweet.  Swapped disk 1 into slot 0, stuck another 250 into disk 1, re-re-mirriored the C: no problem..  1/2 way there without a hitch.  Insert a 250 into disk 3 and it doesn't see it as a 250.. sawp it into slot 2 same thing.  Why would they work fine in one slot and not another?

Has anyone secessfull used bigger disks, in all 4 slot, than the stock 120 Gb drives in a 715N.

21 Posts

February 18th, 2004 18:00

Well it seems I need to update the BOIS on the Promise Ulta 100 HDD controller.  Of course Promise syas you need to boot from a floppy and run their update utility.  Of course you can't do that with a PV715.

Anyone!!??

21 Posts

February 19th, 2004 11:00

Well.. according to Promise I need to update the BOIS on the IDE controllers to support disks larger than 137Gb.  Which of course I cannot do as the controllers are embedded on the motherboard and their updater will not work.

I may just hang this project in the way back of the closet and forget about it..

7 Posts

September 19th, 2004 15:00

I can think of a bodge, slap an cdrom onto the primary channel without any other disks present. Create yourself a bootable cdrom with the files to update the promise controller. Set the bios to boot from CDRom (Which it does support iirc) and you might be in business.

Out of interest, did the onboard IDE see the drives as 250Gb drives? And did your 725N support the bigger disks?

7 Posts

January 28th, 2005 17:00

Mini, did you get this working? I have the opposite problem...drives 0 and 1 show up as 128gb drives, but drives 2 and 3 show up as 250gb drives! To get drives 2 and 3 to appear their full size, I downloaded the newest Ultra100 driver from the Promise website. There is another post in here with the exact URL for the file. Soon as I did that windows driver update, drives 2 and 3 were good...but drives 0 and 1 on my system still show up as 128gb drives. Driving me crazy!!

21 Posts

January 31st, 2005 10:00

Nope never did get it to work.. been awhile and the details are a bit fuzzy but.. I couldn't get the firmware to upgrade in the promise cards, due to them being "embedded" cards. Still not really sure why when they use the same chipsets. It wouls see the drives as 250Gb only if you had one hooked up, if you hooked up 2 drives it would only see them as 128gb..

21 Posts

January 31st, 2005 14:00

Yes I actually made a dos bootable IDE hard disk with the Promise firmware updater on it. The updater would not run due to the controllers being imbedded. Does dell have a firmware update for it now? At the time dell didn;t have one, I had to download it direct from promise.

7 Posts

January 31st, 2005 14:00

Did you try my bodge at all? I never had the drives to try it, but there can't be that many promise ata100 controllers out there to try the firmware updates on ;)

7 Posts

January 31st, 2005 19:00

I got mine up and running. Go to the below website and download the "Promise Ultra 100" driver for Win2K, update your Win2K driver thru device mangler, and reboot. Drives 2 and 3 will appear as 250gb drives. www.promise.com/support/download/download_eng.asp

I had the opposite problem...drives 0 and 1 were showing up as 128gb and 2 and 3 were showing up as 250gb. Make sure your BIOS is verison A06 too.

Weird!

6 Posts

February 21st, 2005 23:00

No luck with that so far... my 0 and 1 have broken the 128 mark, so I presume they are giving me what they will... but I have to check, I'm only getting 186.3, and I thought I had 220 each.
As for 2 and 3, they are giving me 128 each, identical drives.

I believe the BIOS is fine and I am using the newly downloaded driver ... 2.0.1070.2

Can anyone give me a hint?

[you can run, by the way, the Promise BIOS update, without any hardware fun. Just put the files on a PXE boot diskette and run this over the crossover cable when you are doing a fresh system install. However, it doesn't help you any, as the program refuses to upgrade the bios on an embedded chipset... now if some real hacker can overcome that...]
No Events found!