Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2014 11:00

PowerVault 124T Freezing

Hello,

I have a PowerVault 124T that keeps freezing at somewhat random intervals but it seems to happen when it is idle for an extended period of time like over the weekend. 

By freezing I mean the whole thing locks up and is unresponsive, web gui, front panel, and network (ping). The only way to get it back online is a hard power reset. I've worked with a Dell Storage tech as it's still under warranty and he has sent me a replacement. I thought the replacement fixed the issue but over this last weekend it happened again with the new PowerVault.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I checked the power to make sure it was getting clean power and it is. 

I use Backup Exec, is there a setting on it that might cause this?

-Brandon

5 Posts

February 17th, 2014 13:00

Sam,

Thanks for the reply

Im using Backup Exec 2012 Rev 1798 64bit with the latest updates.

The OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

How would this cause the PowerVault to completely lock up?

Thanks for the help, the Storage Tech I've been working with seems to be out of the office today.

-Brandon

• 

7.1K Posts

February 17th, 2014 13:00

Hello Brandon,

It sounds like there could be an issue with either backup exec or the OS.  What version of BUE are you using and what is the Build ID as you didn’t list it in your post.  Also what OS are you running on the server as well?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

I am having this exact same issue.  I can run a backup if I manually run it after a hard boot, but it locks after going into idle.  I have updated the drivers, applied the hotfixes to the Backup Exec software, and Windows is fully up to date.  GUI logs show a hardware error, type 48.  I have had 3 network/hardware techs come look at the situation and they all agreed that this is a Dell issue.  I have been dealing with this for 3 months now and nothing fixes it.

Unfortunately, this one is out of warranty.  For what Dell wants to re-instate the warranty, I would prefer to just go out and buy a couple of swap-able HDs and get rid of this beast.

Backup Exec 2008 version 12.5 Revision 2213

Windows SBS server 2008

I don't know where to find the "BUE" and "Build ID"

5 Posts

February 21st, 2014 09:00

Where exactly do you see the log hardware error? In the Web GUI?

Mine is still under warranty so I was able to get a replacement and it still happens. Albeit only once so far but it still happened. When I spoke with the Dell Storage Tech rep he said the whole thing shouldn't lockup...but it does :P

Anyways, my company has a DR policy to make monthly backups and mail the tapes to an offsite storage facility. Since our WAN speeds don't support live or even nightly backups I'm stuck with this.

I do have a local backup solution using HDD but it's still a good idea to have offsite backups :)

3 Posts

February 24th, 2014 08:00

Yes, I see the hardware error in the web GUI.  Symantec Backup Exec sees it as off-line.  I have even switched to using their 3rd party drivers to see if the issue is software related, but it still locks after going to idle.

It doesn't surprise me that no one from Dell has bothered to answer anything in these posts.

At least you are still under warranty and Dell will probably replace your hardware again.  I am stuck with a $4,600 paperweight at this point.  Couple this with all of the issues that I had with our Dell PowerEdge 2950 server (the motherboard had to be replaced after hundreds of hours of support work), I think our company will stop buying Dell products altogether.  

• 

7.1K Posts

February 24th, 2014 09:00

Hello chadryan77,

The error 48 that you are getting on your PV124T is a Fan Sense Motion Error.  What you will need to do is to go to the rear of the PV124T and see if the fan is spinning & blowing out any air.  If the fan is not spinning when the system is on then that is why your system goes idle as it is most likely that the system could be overheating.  If the system was still under warranty then we would replace it but since you say that the system is not under warranty anymore then what you could do is to take the cover off the system and pull the system fan out & find a replacement fan & insert back into the system to see if that resolves your issue.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2014 06:00

I appreciate your response Sam, but I'm afraid its not that easy.  Both fans at the back of the PV124T power on with the unit and run just fine - even after it locks-up.  I have now taken-out, inspected, and re-installed both fans in case a wire had come loose.  None had and the problem continues.

I am open to any other ideas?

1 Message

April 1st, 2014 11:00

I experienced a near identical issue that you describe. 124T with same lock up symptoms, same hardware replacement doing the same thing. Sent Dell logs files from the replacement unit when it was locking up and they said it pointed to a network issue. They asked if it was monitored which it was not but I pulled the network cable and it's been working for a month now without issue (knock on wood). Hope this helps.

-Greg G

5 Posts

April 1st, 2014 12:00

Greg,

That may make since. I'm still having the issue but gave up spending the time troubleshooting it and Dell just started ignoring me and stopped replying to my emails. Not that I've been calling or bugging too much.

It would make since that a network scan may cause the hardware to freeze. My company has a security vulnerability crawler that pops up odd logs and warning on my Linux servers time to time.

As a workaround I just wrote a script that sends an email when the device is unreachable and go power cycle it.

-Brandon

No Events found!