Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2020 01:00

PowerVault MD1000 managed from a non-dell server with Win Srv 2016 Std

Hello,
I managed to get a fully functional Dell PV MD1000 disk array - Service TAG - .
I tested it, I created RAID and it's OK.
I can add a volume for Windows, it's OK too.
I have scanned 15 Seagate 300GB SAS drives, also OK.

The problem is that I would like to have access to the disk array from the Windows desktop.
For information such as:
- RIAID status
- Disk status
- power supply status
- etc.

I tried:
1. Administrator server (downloaded from Dell's website, based on service TAG) - cannot see the disk array
2. OpenManage Essetials 2.5 - cannot see the disk array
3. OpenManage Enterprse - I can't access the contents of the VHD disk, Disk Management returns an error to me, and I cannot force a drive letter assignment. I did not install. (downloaded from Dell's website, based on service TAG)

Unfortunately, none of the above options allows you to manage or monitor a disk array from windows to be able to receive an email about changes in the system.

Specification:

server:
System Manufacturer - Supermicro
System Model - X9DRG-HF
System Type - x64-based PC

Operating system:
OS Name - Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard
Version - 10.0.14393 Build 14393

I would be very grateful for your help. I care about the efficient connection of this disk array to my system.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 21st, 2020 14:00

Hello bj14789,

Since you are using a perc card it is a customized LSI card for dell servers.  Since you are not using a dell server then you will need to use the card manufactures software.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 21st, 2020 10:00

Hello bj14789,

Since you are using a non- Dell server you have to use the controller bios to manage your MD1000.  When using a Dell server, you would use OME (Open Manage Essentials) & PERC card to manage your MD1000.  Also, the MD1000 was never tested with windows 2016.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2020 10:00

Hello DELL-Sam L.

Unfortunately, I know that.

My reason for posting on the Dell forum was that I'm not looking for a standard solution tested by Dell's engineering team at LAB.

I am looking for a solution that maybe someone smarter than me has implemented in their system that can also solve my problem.

From what you wrote it follows that unfortunately on the Dell forum I can not count on help in the case of a non-standard solution.
Even more so if the operating system has not been checked with the device.

I will only add that I am not looking for support under the support plan or warranty, because the age of the device excludes it.
I thought that in the world of hardware IT could be an end in itself to leave the comfort zone and look for new solutions not standard configurations.
In this difficult time, where many companies struggle with a lack of investment funds.

Thank you for your interest in my question and answer, best regards.

• 

7.1K Posts

May 21st, 2020 12:00

Hello bj14789,

Which controller card are you using in your server to connect to your MD1000?  I have seen customer that have used an LSI raid controller and will use mega raid software to manage there MD1000 when not connected to a dell server or using a dell perc card.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2020 12:00

Oh! 

I am apologize, I did not write... 

I am using PERC 6/e card. 

It could be whatever LSI Raid Controller card? 

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 10:00

Thank you very much for your help.
Everything looks OK.
I am very happy that a good non-standard solution has been developed; )

2 Posts

April 14th, 2022 03:00

hello can someone help me to connect powervault dell md1000  to dell poweredge2950 ,  in this server  is running windows 2016 server, i plug with perc5/e  but none in bios none open manager cant see powervault  hard disk drives

No Events found!