Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

30 Posts

March 7th, 2022 13:00

PowerVault NX3200 not detecting HDDs

Hello friends,

Recently I encountered a problem on my PowerVault NX3200. It worked like a charm for some time and the suddenly started with "blackouts". Suddenly from time to time happened that no service was available from it until I restart it and all it could be seen when this happens was a black screen (on the display or via idrac). After restart, every time when this happens, RAID controller reported a foreign configuration that I had to import and then it would continue to normal boot but last time after this situation, it never came back. All I can see now is 0 drives in the RAID controller menu and the LEDs on the drives does not even blink (only one very short blink when powering on). There are 14 Drives in it (12 x 3.5 inch and 2 x 2.5 inch).

At first I thought this may be the RAID controller problem, so I ordered online two controllers PERC720 and PERC720p. Even with them, the hard drives are still unavailable. I have checked all the cables and everything seems to be fine.

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

• 

3.4K Posts

March 7th, 2022 22:00

Hi @spaxton,

When you mention blackout, are they electricity power outage or it's the server's power are off all of a sudden?

The current issue, it's difficult to isolate. It could be the backplane or the main board, since you have tried replacing the PERC card. You mentioned you have checked the cables, by that mean you have tried unplug the cable and reinserting them? 

NX3200 do not support PERC H720 nor H720P. It only supports H710. To confirm, could you provide us the previous card that you're using and the ones you bought, DPN#. 

30 Posts

March 7th, 2022 23:00

Hello Joey.

Thank You very much for replying.

The equipment is backed by UPS so there were no power outs to the server. By blackouts I meant the black screen of the server (even if I checked idrac, it displayed no signal) but the server was running. 

I have unplugged all the cables inside and even removed the mainboard once but that also didn't help.

My mistake, the RAID controller is PERC710 and I have tried another one and 710P as well.

Any idea?

Best Regards.

• 

3.4K Posts

March 8th, 2022 01:00

Hi @spaxton,

Unfortunately without any addition parts, I'm unsure what is the cause of the issue. To my judgement, it could be the main board. All communications and power are directed to the backplane of the drive. And also you're having issues with no display 'blackouts'. 

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery?

Have you tried single power supply? 

Have you tried removing all drives and reseating them while the system is off? 

30 Posts

March 8th, 2022 01:00

Hello Joey,

The system does not blackout anymore but it doesn't see the drives as a final result. 

I didn't try removing the CMOS battery but I have tried this:

1. removing one PSU or adding another PSU from R720 server.

2. removing all the drives and reinserting them and I tried adding drives not used in this device before.

By the way, in the advanced setting of the controller via BIOS, it says NO Enclosure detected.

Today I will try to remove the CMOS battery. I would even reset the system to factory. Whats the best way to do this?

Best Regards,

• 

278 Posts

March 8th, 2022 04:00

Hello spaxton,

You can  use to reset the BIOS or UEFI settings to their default settings:

https://dell.to/3Cr5L1n p.18

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks.

No Events found!