This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 04:00

PowerVoult 124T and DirectPath I/O

Hello!

ESXi 5.0 was installed on the PowerEdge R710 server. We're planning buy and connect Dell PowerVault 124T in this server. Connecting will use SAS HBA. Does Powervault 124T support mapping in guest OS? The virtual machine can direct write down data on a tape? Does specified equipment support the Direct Pass I/O function?

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 09:00

You may have to assign the SAS HBA to the guest. This does mean that you cannot vMotion this VM (as it gets hard-tied to the SAS adapter), and if you ever have a major SAN/storage issue and lose the raid set where the backup server and possibly several other servers are on, you have to first build a new backup VM, install your backup software, and only then can you start restoring (the other VMs).

I'd suggest to keep your backup server physical.

• 

7.1K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 15:00

Hello zemeg,

With the PV 124T it is not supported with the SAS HBA.  Now you can try and connect it as Dev manger has stated & it will work but the reason that we state that it is not a supported configuration is that it is not stable and tends to cause errors that appear to be hardware but once u test the hardware all works fine.  What I would recommend is that if you haven’t yet purchased the PV 124T that you can get a TL2000 with iSCSI bridge.  Now with the TL2000 u get 24 slot instead of 16 and you can also get it with 2 drives instead of 1.  With the addition of the iSCSI bridge you can connect that through ESXI and it will work.  

Let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!