Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2012 02:00

Reconfiguring MD3000i virtual disks

Hi, I have a requirement to reconfigure the virtual disks on a customers MD3000i storage array.

The MD3000i is populated with 14x 370Gb SAS drives. From this, two RAID5 disk groups have been created with 7 SAS drives each.

Each disk group contains 6 virtual disks (one for each of the iSCSI blade server hosts). Symantec Double-Take is then used on each host server to mirror data from one disk group to another.

To remove the virtual disk size limitation for each host and hence have better utilisation of the overall usable disk space, I'd like to simplify the RAID setup and configure two of the SAS drives with RAID1 for SQL transaction log files and configure the remaining disks with RAID10. What would be your recommendation for the creation of the virtual disk groups and virtual disk drives for each of the hosts? Only one host will utilise the RAID1 disks but all six hosts will utilise the RAID10 disks.

I’ve read that it’s possible to setup a host group for the servers but each server would also need clustering services installed to access the shared virtual disk of the SAN. Double-Take will mirror data to another potential SAN.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

July 16th, 2012 08:00

The first major note is that 2 servers cannot share a SAN disk unless they have some kind of disk locking mechanism in place (e.g. a cluster).

So, you'll have to carve the raid 10 into multiple virtual disks if you want to have each host use a part of that raid 10.

No Events found!