Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

12 Posts

January 1st, 2022 19:00

Reset password MD1400 to factory default

I have a MD1400 storage array. I tried the default password Password and supportDell but does not work.  HOw can I reset the device to factory default??

• 

278 Posts

January 3rd, 2022 05:00

Hello bosskeeper,

Thank you for choosing Dell.

MD1400 can be only attached to the server. Here you find a storage enclosure rules:

https://dell.to/3HwJwZu

As MD1400 doesn't have their own management, it is enclosure with disks, so it cannot be resetted, as, for example, MD38xx. Where did you try to apply login and password?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2022 00:00

There is a mini USB connector next to the SCSI ports. The documention  reads Do you mean by not been able to be resetted the device is for password access? The controllers have a USB for  serial.  But is asking for a password.

Any idea?

• 

278 Posts

January 7th, 2022 03:00

Hello bosskeeper,

Thank you for your reply.

The USB Mini-B (serial debug port) is for engineering use only:

https://dell.to/3t2AH5t There is no password in public documentation or Hardware Owner's Manual.

Physical disk drive storage within the enclosure can be configured using either the BIOS configuration utility or Server Administrator. Server Administrator provides a comprehensive server or storage management solution with an integrated graphical view and command line interface (CLI). It enables online configuration and management for both internal storage and externally attached storage.

We can also wait for other Dell Comminuty Forum user's replies.

Please ask me if you have any questions,

• 

631 Posts

January 7th, 2022 11:00

You can connect all of the ports to one host for redundancy.

12 Posts

January 7th, 2022 11:00

I am asking to myself, what is the use for the controller to have 4 ports if only one computer can be attached at a time?  What scenario are all 4 SCSI ports in both controllers occupied?  I got this storage array box to deploy a redundant cluster where a second machine will take over the production in a firts one is disable. But when the limitation of only one server attached to the Hard disk array, I cannot picture how this is possible.  Please feedback.

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

January 8th, 2022 04:00

MD14xx_4x3_R730=GUID-D6358732-BD44-4F2F-9664-B8DE26E38ACE=1=en-us=Low

12 Posts

January 10th, 2022 20:00

@DellEMCSupport   please, can you comment on @tapelibraryfixer proposed schematic?  Because this is exactly what I am after, but it contradicts  some of the statement or documentation on MD1400 capability to connect only one server.

• 

278 Posts

January 11th, 2022 01:00

Hello bosskeeper,

The SAS Cable diagram defines the interconnection between four Dell PowerEdge R730 servers and three Dell PowerVault MD1400 storage enclosures.

In regards to deployment guide, you can cable the storage enclosure to host systems and to additional storage enclosures in three different configurations:

-Single port configuration

-Redundant configuration

-Multi-chain configuration

Source:

https://dell.to/3qdGLGw p. 6

MD1400 and MD1420 enclosures can only be attached to a single server. The drives within each enclosure cannot be accessed in a “split mode” between two servers.

Thanks

12 Posts

January 12th, 2022 15:00

@Dell- Maria J I gone over the documentation here, and there is nothing showing multiple servers . Can you comment if the diagram proposed by @tapelibraryfixer  is a possible configuration using MD1400

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

January 13th, 2022 07:00

Hello @bosskeeper,

As @Dell- Maria J said, the SAS Cable diagram proposed by @tapelibraryfixer defines the interconnection between four Dell PowerEdge R730 servers and three Dell PowerVault MD1400 storage enclosures.

Regards.

12 Posts

January 13th, 2022 20:00

I understand the diagram and is a well-done schematic. But the current manual of MD1400 provides no concrete disclosure that this topology is possible and suggest the contrary, No one here is spoken to confirm if manual information is inaccurate or if the diagram is incorrect to apply to MD1400 

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

January 14th, 2022 05:00

i think it comes down to what system you technically have.

if you have a normal R730 and a MD1400 then you would normally have one PERC card inside your system, so one shelf per R730.

The diagram i posted if from a Dell DSMS a storage appliance, which uses R730XD by the look of it and has more PERC Cards. which alloys for more ports to be used on the MD1400.

Because you dont technically have a storage appiance its not officially a solution, but theres a chance it would work.

the link shows all the configs allowed when using an R730 but its classed as a differant product.

https://qrl.dell.com/Files/en-us/Html/Manuals/DSMS%20CG/Cabling%20the%20systems=GUID-D34CD45C-3A48-44C1-976A-0354168CFFC5=4=en-us=.html

No Events found!