Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2012 04:00

Reverting to simplex mode on an MD3000i

I have an MD3000i that has lost one of its iSCSI RAID controller modules.

The MD3000i is still set to duplex mode which means that it constantly complains about the missing RAID controller module and I can't update the time, the firmware and many other settings as the second module is not contactable.

I know that the command "smcli MACHINENAME -p PASSWORD -c "set storageArray redundancyMode=simplex;" is the command that should set this SAN to simplex mode but this also gives me an error saying that the second RAID controller is not contactable.

Is there a way to bypass this warning so that I can revert back to simplex mode without buying a second RAID controller module?

This is only a lab system now as the hardware is aging and redundancy is not really important for me. The entire system gets reinstalled every few weeks anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated!

James

• 

7.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 09:00

Hello James,

You can’t revert the system back to simplex mode unless you have 2 working controllers.  So you will need to get a replacement controller in order to revert the system to Simplex mode.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

October 25th, 2012 06:00

So the official response from Dell is that I need to buy a second controller if I only want to use one? That doesn't make any sense.

Am I able to flash the entire firmware back to factory defaults? Will that revert to simplex mode?

There must be a way to do this as buying a second controller just to turn it off again seems pointless to me.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 25th, 2012 07:00

It probably comes down to that to make changes to the array both controllers need to acknowledge this, unless you have only a single controller. Changing from 2 controllers to 1 controller means both controllers have to acknowledge this, which isn't possible if 1 controller is down.

• 

7.1K Posts

October 25th, 2012 08:00

Hello James,

As Dev Mgr stated that you can’t have any faults on the MD to switch from duplex to simplex mode.  Also you can attempt to flash the firmware back to factory but most times it doesn’t complete due to the MD having a fault on the system.  

Let us know if have any other questions.

1 Message

April 9th, 2013 13:00

Gotta jump in here.

We have the same issue with a failed controller and we can't switch to Simplex mode without buying a new controller (again, why?!?).

Plus now, Dell doesn't even sell the Controller Array, Part X2R63.

In this case, where the hardware is obviously depricated in Dell's eyes, it is Dell's responsibility to come up with a solution that doesn't require a new controller.

I know it can be done via the SMCLI.exe, but not having he knowledge of all of the program's foibles I can't figure it out myself.

Just my 2 cents.

No Events found!