Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2013 16:00

Suspect disk that is member of multiple Raid 5 virtual disks, won't response to "offline" command

Hello.

I have a physical disk -- "disk11" -- that is one of four disks that are part of multiple Raid 5 virtual disks.  I have recieved a S.M.A.R.T "non-critical" alert on disk11 , complete with the yellow caution sign and exclamation point.  I think I'd better replace it.  The OMSA instructions ("Replacing a Physical Disk Receiving SMART Alerts") say to run the "offline" command on that physical drive before I physically remove it.  However, disk 11 is still "online" after I run the command.  (Also, when I run the "offline" command the Internet browser kind of freezes; I have to refresh it to bring the physical disk view back).

I suspect the fact disk11 is part of multiple raid 5 virtual disks explains why I can't "offline" disk11.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

Thanks.

• 

7.1K Posts

January 9th, 2013 17:00

Hello danjordan,

Not sure if you have a hotspare disk configured or not but if you do then what I suggest is that you pull the drive and wait about 20-30minutes for the data to be copied to the hotspare.  After that then you can put the new drive back into slot 11 & the Raid array should write the data back to disk 11.  If you don’t have a hotspare you can still pull the disk just make sure that you give the array about 10 minutes to see that the drive is not present and let it balance out that the drive is not present to the array.  Once that is done then you can put the new disk in the slot and it should see the new drive & bring it online & add the data that it needs to be correct in the stripe of the array.  Being that you state that it is in a raid 5 as long as there are no other drives issues you should be good in either process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

12 Posts

January 9th, 2013 16:00

I don't want to have to just pull the drive out but I don't know what else to try to get the "offline" command to work.

12 Posts

January 10th, 2013 09:00

Thanks very much.  That helps considerably.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

January 11th, 2013 09:00

To correct DELL-SAM L, unless you have 146GB 15k rpm drives, a rebuild to a hotspare doesn't take 20-30 minutes. The time needed is dependent on the raid type, raid size, virtual disk size, IO, drive size and drive (rpm) speed.

With a 600GB 15k rpm drive in a 6-disk raid 5, I'd expect the rebuild to take 1.5-3 hours easily. With a 3TB 7200rpm drive in an 11-drive raid 6, don't be surprised if the rebuild takes 24-48 hours.

No Events found!