Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

May 10th, 2022 02:00

TL2000 EC 6

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me with diagnosing a problem with my TL2000 Library, when I try to run a test it fails on the Mount Media and gives an error EC 6.
The library has Firmware F.11
And the drive itself is a ULT3580-TD4 and has Firmware C7QH.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards Birkir

• 

3.3K Posts

May 10th, 2022 07:00

Hello BirkirE,

I'm sorry to see you have an EC6 errors.  With an EC 6 error that is means that there is an issue with the drive or the media.

We should gather the logs for review.  Can you pull the log and upload?

TL2000 / TL4000 : How to collect the tape library and drive diagnostic logs "DumpAll" for troubleshooting

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000139718/tl2000-tl4000-how-to-collect-the-tape-library-and-drive-diagnostic-logs-dumpall-for-troubleshooting

When you have it collected can you upload to this link under the service tag of the TL2000 and then Private Message me the Service tag, as well as your company name for me to collect the log.

https://upload.dell.com/

• 

3.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 05:00

Hello BirkirE,

I received your private message. I will gather the upload and take a look.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 06:00

Hello BirkirE,

Can you try rename the .bin file to .txt and retry uploading please?

3 Posts

May 17th, 2022 07:00

I have uploaded both files now. And uploaded the .bin as .txt

Regards Birkir

• 

3.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 07:00

Thank you Birkir. I wall gather the log for review and update you.

• 

3.3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 10:00

Hello BirkirE

After review I have recommended we can try cleaning the tape drive three (3) times to see if there is a clogged head.  The MR Resistance does spike, but only once with the backward heads.  If after cleaning the drive the errors continue, there may be an issue with the tape drive we should run the diagnostic and collect new log using the command line utility, provided below.  For the tapes with FSC 2C33, it looks like they may have issues themselves.     The amount of media loads per tape is pretty high as well – most of them are above 300 media loads.  We tend to see media having more issue that have a higher media load count.

At the end are pics of the MR Resistance spike and the inventory showing the media loads per tape.

FSC 2E12:

Field Feedback and Recommended Actions

"The 2E12 issue can be caused by many things and care must be taken to understand which one you are looking at:

1. Where applicable firmware issues are documented (see below if any apply), code needs to be updated.
  2. If this error is seen once, or very intermittently on an otherwise good drive, it is most likely caused by a head clog, an issue that occurs as the drive does not use it's cleaning brush or request cleaning when this error is seen.
  3. If a drive is consistently failing for 0x2E12 errors, it will have a hardware issue. If this occurs, a drive dump must be collected and reviewed with latest ITDT. Recent versions of ITDT introduced new charts, one of which is to view Head MR Resistance and to look for changes which will allow identification of specific failure modes. If a 0x2E12 issue is seen and MR resistance shows most head channels as stable, but with a few (1 to 4) channels having significant increases in resistance, it is a strong indication that the cause of failure is an environmental problem. The critical requirement that needs to be considered is the rate of change of Humidity which needs to be kept to less than 5% RH change per hour. In many cases, customers do not have environmental logging that is accurate enough to detect rate of change problems and a logging device will need to be provided. USB environment logging devices are available for under $100 and are recommended in this situation, one example being the Lascar EL-USB-2.
  4. If the drive is consistently failing, yet MR resistance is similar on all channels it is unlikely that the failure is caused by environment, yet it will still be bad and need to be replaced.
  5. There are potential media issues which could be caused by poorly recorded or defective zero tracks which prevent the drive from detecting LPOS as it expects. If this is the case, a tape will fail every time it goes into the drive. Be careful as an issue like this might impact a whole box of cartridges. Test the drive with a Tape that definitely works without issues in another drive.

Recommended Field Actions: "For intermittent issues, Clean the drive. For hard failures, collect a drive dump and check MR resistance and if unexpected spikes are seen then investigate the environment at the site, looking carefully for changes in humidity greater that 5% RH per hour. If MR resistance is acceptable, carry out a media vs. drive analysis to help understand if this is a media or drive issue and take appropriate action."

FSC 2C33

Field Feedback and Recommended Actions

This error indicates that the drive failed to Write the FID (The very first dataset on tape). This normally indicates that a tape with a serious issue is being used in the drive. Cases have also been seen where a drive with a completely dead channel/head will report this error on every tape. Tapes that have failed during write with a 2C33 issue may later fail if an attempt is made to read/write with 2C34 or 7021 issues.

Recommended Field Actions: "This is most probably a media issue. Tapes with the problem need to be identified and removed from use. If the drive fails on multiple tapes, including known good ones that work in other drives, it should be replaced. Cartridges that have been involved in this issue may not be usable and need to be discarded."

Command line Utility ITDT-SE CLI

https://dell.to/3wSgIHh

Directions :

https://dell.to/3yI9V5e

First run Tape Drive Diagnostics

Then gather Tape Drive Log

4 Attachments

No Events found!