Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2013 02:00

TL2000 driving me mad.....

Been asked to setup a powervault TL2000 but can i get it to work!??! Grrr Any help appreciated

Details are:

The unit is a few years old - it was attached to a legacy linux server but noone knew how it worked after the "guru" left. So it was factory reset and attached to windows. It has 23 used tapes in it

OS is WIn 2008 R2 64 std running on a Poweredge 2950 - backup software is Acronis 11.5 with tape mgmt

Qlogic SCSI fibre card - QLE2360

TL2000 (Removed by moderator)

I am using Qconverge and the fibre card seems installed ok. I can also see the tape drive attached as a "IBM ULT3580-TD4"

In device mgr Windows is showing a tape drive with "IBM ULT3580-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device" - the driver is Microsoft 21/06/2006 ver 6.1.7600.16385

fcinfo /detials shows the qlogic card

Acronis reports no tapes are available in any of the pools (i have seen a tape in it once)

Main issues i see are:

i cant see it is ISCSI initiator - the only target is the network IP address

i have googled and found a screenshot with a "medium changer device" - we dont have that?

only error i can find - C:\Windows\SysWOW64>fcinfo /ports

com.qlogic-QLE2460-0, num: 2
GetDiscoveredPortAttributess failed: status:
Unknown Error
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 |  Type     State   Speed             WWN                     PortWWN       |
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
   L_Port,   online,  4gbs,  20:00:00:1b:32:08:8c:bb,  21:00:00:1b:32:08:8c:bb
  Unknown,  unknown,  unkn,  00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00,  00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

Do i have the right drivers?? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

• 

6.9K Posts

April 25th, 2013 08:00

Hello vx_paul,

What you need to do is install the correct drivers for the TL2000 which the file is called install_nonexclusive.exe.  You can download the drivers from the following link.  http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/powervault-tl2000?driverId=7NH5M&osCode=LHS64&fileId=3126064765&languageCode=EN&categoryId=TA

Since you see the drive you are missing the medium changer and for the TL 2000 you need to install the base drivers in order to get the medium changer/ robot to be seen.  Once you install the drivers you will need to reboot your server.  Once you log back in to windows then you should be able to see in device manger that a medium changer is present.  Once the medium changer is present then you will need to run through the tape install wizard to ensure that Acronis see the drive & the robot. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 

6.9K Posts

April 25th, 2013 08:00

Hello vx_paul,

Here is also a link to the setup guide for the iSCSI bridge for your TL2000 so you can confirm that your setup is correct.   ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-tl2000_Reference%20Guide2_en-us.pdf

4 Posts

April 26th, 2013 09:00

Hi Sam thanks for your pointers.

Drivers downloaded and installed (via run as admin..), all showed successful so rebooted. The tape drivers are now showing as IBM v6.2.3.3 29/10/2012. But no medium changer is showing in device manager?

Getting there!

• 

6.9K Posts

April 26th, 2013 10:00

Hello vx_paul,

Try going into device manger and adding legacy hardware.  You will need to choose tape drives and add the tape bus & changer bus enumerators that should make it so you can see the medium changer.

4 Posts

May 1st, 2013 09:00

hi Sam, the tape bus & changer bus enumerators are showing under "system devices" but "medium changer" is not showing and it is not in either "scan for hardware" or "add legacy" in devices. Appreciate the help Paul

• 

6.9K Posts

May 1st, 2013 13:00

Hello vx_paul,

Need to check & confirm that the library is set to random & not sequential.  You can view this from either the front of the TL or the Web utility.  From the front panel you will go to the Configure MenuLibrary SettingsMode.  

Web utility

Configure Library MenuGeneral  then you will see logical Library 1 Library mode & there is 2 radial buttons to choose and you need to make sure that random is selected.

4 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 09:00

hi Sam, i think you have solved it! Needed to point the "unknown" medium changer at the drivers from above download, then reboot but now showing as IBM totalstorage 3573 tape library and 24 slots in Acronis! Woohoo nice to start to see the end of this project :)

As a side note, we have old tapes to dispose of -  i cant see a way of "formatting" the tapes - is there a CLI to the tape unit?

Many thanks for your help :) Paul

• 

6.9K Posts

May 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hello Paul,

There isn’t a CLI for this unit that I am aware of.  If you are just looking to make sure that there is no data on the media you should be able to run a quick erase job & select all the tapes that you want to erase.  I haven’t used Acronis before but all backup software has some sort of erase job that you can run to clear the media.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 15:00

Dear Sam L,

i had same situation, i use Symantec backup software,  in device manager not detected Medium Changer Device and cannot backup , then i changed from sequence mode to random mode, it working and detect Medium Changer Device in Device manager.

Could you explain to me about that, why we must change to random mode and why we cannot use sequence mode, so How can i use sequence mode if i want to use this mode?  Thanks Sam in advance.

No Events found!