Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2009 08:00

TL4000 Remote Management Interface stops responding

I have a TL4000 with the latest firmware for the library and drives installed. The RMU stops responding after being powered on for a while. It even stops responding to ICMP Ping requests. A reboot of the TL4000 will resolve it for awhile, but the RMU goes offline after about a week of being powered on.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

August 6th, 2009 09:00

Yes, A08 is installed.

HTTPS is enabled. We have software that discovers new IP devices on on network. Any idea why this would be a problem?

899 Posts

August 6th, 2009 09:00

If  you have any port or web app scanning  sw on the network  exclude the the TL4K  IP from the scan.

Just to verify you do have the A08 f/w package installed?

Bob

August 6th, 2009 10:00

If a new FW is on the way with a resolution for this, I will wait for the FW for the resolution. We use LANDesk and Dell Management Console to discover new devices.

899 Posts

August 6th, 2009 10:00

Can you list the application you are using or is it a home grown solution?

Is it possible to exclude the TL IP from this traffic?

Engineering is actively working on a FW resolution for this issue, I will post to this thread when an update is available.

Bob

4 Posts

December 30th, 2009 12:00

Is there an update on this issue? We are seeing the same behaviour.

We have two PowerVault librarys (TL2000's). What's really strange, is they have worked flawlessly for us for many months (the first unit is a year old & the second is 6 months old). 

Suddenly, last week, the web interface on both units became un-responsive to web requests. The only way to clear the problem is to reboot the units.  last week we called Dell support and they had us update the Firmware to the latest greatest. It happened two or three times after this, but then quieted down.

This afternoon -- both PowerVaults again have stopped responding to web access requests.

There is no-one logged in the units. And both units sit on private-IP address space.

We do not run general purpose network scanners nor NMAP's, but we do probe the units via ICMP & HTTP hits every few minutes (which is how we became aware of the fact the interfaces went offline). It is very troubling that both units would go offline in such a coindental fashion like this.

The units are still responding to PING requests.

December 30th, 2009 18:00

The latest firmware update took care of this for us. See support.dell.com, download and give it a shot.

Update: The latest update did not resolve this issue. It helped, but the site eventually stops responding.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2010 08:00

As I mentioned, the first thing we did when we encountered this was to update the firmware to the latest greatest.

We are still seeing this after having done so. What's particularly troublesome is that two completelly separate units expereince the exact same trouble within a minute of each other. Meaning, they both run fine for a week and then out of the blue, the HTTP service stops responding on both units within 1 minute of each other.

Both units are pingable during the event. Also, the units seem to have telnet interface -- which we've experiemented with enabling. During periods when the HTTP interface is unresponsive, we are able to telnet into the units.  The interface is very slow, but it does respond.

The only way to clear this is to reboot the units, which is becoming very troublesome. We have very large long running jobs that are difficult to schedule library reboots around.

January 13th, 2010 08:00

Dell has released a new firmware update.

Maintenance Release providing support for 6Gbps SAS HBA's and fixes for customers experiencing problems accessing the RMU (Remote Monitoring Unit) via the ethernet connection and addresses an issue where customers would receive erroneous SMTP warning messages stating "Warn: 0x0100 Cleaning cartridge nearly expired " for a data cartridge.

5 Posts

February 14th, 2010 07:00

Got the same problem with a TL2000 and the latest firmware (8.62 i think) hasn't fixed the issue despite the description saying it had.

4 Posts

February 15th, 2010 06:00

We two of these units & it is happening to both. What's particularly disturbing is that they've each been inline for over a year, and the error just started for us 30 days ago.  Dell support has so far swapped out the RMU on both units but it had no effect.  We've taken to shipping them packet traces, but so far, they've been unable to track down the trobule,

February 15th, 2010 08:00

I updated our TL4000 back in Jan 2010 and the issue seemed to be corrected. I checked it today and it was offline again.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2010 08:00

This is funny. Yesterday, Dell Support people made the following recommendation. To stop the issue from ocurring, we should "STOP MONITORING THE RMU" !  I couldn't believe my ears. The only thing this does is prevents us from knowing when the Interface has crashed.

Someone has got to smack Dell support with a clue-by-four.

17 Posts

March 9th, 2010 08:00

The same thing is happening here.  I applied the 8.62 firmware update a few weeks ago.  While it still responds to pings, the web interface does not respond.

3 Posts

April 28th, 2010 07:00

The same thing is happening here.  I applied the 8.62 firmware update a few weeks ago.  While it still responds to pings, the web interface does not respond.

Same here. I updated the firmware and the device no longer displays a web interface. Genius. I cant communicate with the device at all via the interface.

I have scoured the internet looking for an alternative way to 'talk' to the TL2000 but no joy.

The device is no longer listening to HTTP requests on port 80 (tested via telnet).

Are there any other TCP ports I can connect to it on?

I noticed it has a serial port. Can you undo damage via this? anyone know the port settings? BAUD rate etc?

3 Posts

April 28th, 2010 08:00

I have managed to get my interface back.

I went here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/previousversions.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=PWE_2950&releaseid=R183157&formatid=-1&deviceid=14489&formatcnt=1&dateid=-1&releasetype=FRMW&servicetag=&typeid=-1&catid=37&source=-1&libid=37&impid=-1&osl=en&vercnt=9&os=WNET&checkFormat=false

And downloaded the latest firmware and extracted it to (in my case) C:\dell\drivers\R253324

I then installed the ITDT-DCR application. C:\dell\drivers\R253324\LTO Drives\ITDT-DCR1.0.1\Windows\

Stopped the backupexec services

Scanned for the device with the ITDT-DCR application then clicked the 'FW Update' button. Navigated to the C:\dell\drivers\R253324\library\?.fbi (where ? is the version you have downloaded) and opened it.

Hoped for the best for about 10 minutes before it reported 'Firmware update complete' with a nice friendly green tick in the ITDT-DCR window.

Relaunched my web browser and Robert is your uncles father - the log in prompt appeared.

Which is nice.

No Events found!