Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2017 16:00

Troubles with MD1000

Hi all. I hope that someone here could give me a good advice.

We have configured a Dell PE 2950 equipped with a PERC 5/e (pci express) controller and connected to an MD1000 configured in split mode (let's say P1 and P2). Port 0 on PERC 5/e, connected to Channel 0 IN (P1) on MD1000 and Channel 1 to Channel 1 (P2) .

This configuration worked well (we have two Raid 10 volumes on P1 and two Raid 5 volumes on P2) , until we lost communication to MD1000 (all the volumes were not available for the OS). We rebooted the server and when the initialization on the external controller has done we have this message:

"Invalid SAS topology detected. Please check your cable configurations, repair the problem, and restart your system."

ok we had already checked the cables... substituted them and also changed the controller Perc 5/e on the server, but nothing. Then we have been trying with this configuration:

- Connect only one adapter on MD1000 to the controller (eg Port 0 on PERC 5/e, connected to Channel 0 IN (P1) on MD1000 and then after the initialization phase we reach the error (warning) :

"All of the disks from your configuration are gone.  If this is an unexpected message, then please power off your system and check your cables to ensure all disks are present.

Press any key to continue, or 'C' to load the configuration utility."

If I continue then there's another message warning about...

Entering the configuration utility in this state will result in drive
configuration changes. Press 'Y' to continue loading the configuration utility
or please power off your system and check your cables to ensure all disks are
present and reboot.

I powered off and i'm here for any good advice... I've been checking for torubleshooting procedures but i didn't find till now anything... In my opinion it seems an issue related to MD1000 itself, and there is the opportunity to find a new refurbished... but I would like to know from you if is it possible to go step by step in recovering the raid configuration from the disks importing the foreign config first on P1 part of MD1000 and the on P2.

Thanks in advance

Cheers.

AB

• 

6.9K Posts

July 26th, 2017 10:00

Hello abonanno77,

What you need to do is to go into the PERC5/e controller bios and see what it states the status of the virtual disk are. If the virtual disk has not lost any drives then you want to import foreign configuration and that should bring the virtual disk back online again. Then you will want to exit the PERC bios and let the system boot normally. Once system is up you should have access to your virtual disk again.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

July 27th, 2017 08:00

Hello Sam,

thank you for your reply. Alas I cannot access to controller bios! As I wrote on my first post after the initialization phase i get stuck on error message (i enclose a screen)

I think i can access to bios if i disconnect one of the two cables, but what i don't know well is how to manage the fact that the MD1000 is configured in split mode.

Thank you

AB

1 Attachment

• 

6.9K Posts

July 27th, 2017 14:00

Hello abonanno77,

You can disconnect one of the cables to see if you can access.   Also, since you have another perc5/e you could install that card in the server, and then connect one side of your MD1000 to each card.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2017 09:00

Hi, i've done some test on another md1000. i noticed that if i create a new volume even if i do not initialize it, a background process of initialization start. i'm not sure but i fear that if i do this i will lose data. btw i am considering to substitute the entire enclosure. thank you.

No Events found!