Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 20th, 2015 14:00

WOL with MD1200?

I have a Dell Precision rack mount workstation/server with a PowerVault MD1200 attached directly to it.  This particular item is used for video conversion which I do not use all the time.  All the computers on our network I have the ability to wake on lan (WOL) including this one, but the problem is the MD1200.  Is there a way to turn on and off the MD1200 when a WOL call is made to the Precision computer?  Since it uses the external drives as part of it's encoding process, would like to be able to turn it on remotely when I need it (usually 20 miles away when this happens), including the enclosure and turn it off when I'm done.  I'm guessing the simple answer is no, however is there any third party hardware that can be put in line to make this viable?

Thanks.

JR

July 21st, 2015 10:00

Hello, jriker1.

So, you're right. The simple answer is no. There's not a way to pull this off. There are power switches (rockers) on each power supply on the back. This is the only way to turn it off / on. It doesn't have a "stand by" mode for a soft shutdown, so a 3rd party software couldn't pull it off either.

That particular box just doesn't get that complicated. Hope that answers your question.

59 Posts

July 21st, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  Since I posted came up with an idea.  How about one of those small Power Distribution Units (PDU) that allows remote management of turning on the power ports?  So plug both power supplies into it, then using turning the unit on as an example, send commands to the PDU to turn on the two ports the PowerVault is connected to, then a WOL request to the Precision?

JR

No Events found!