Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2012 02:00

Wiring a M1000e to a MD3200i

Hi,

First I want you know that I'm French. So I apologize in advanced for my bad english :emotion-18:

We actually have in production a M1000e BladeCenter equiped with 5 blades M610 and 4 M6220 PowerConnect switches and a PowerVault MD3200i SAN.

I've just finished to make the exact scheme of our equipment.

This cabling works but I wonder if there is a better way to wire the M1000e to the MD3200i. What about the Passthrough modules ? Are they better ?

I did not configured anything on the M6220 switches except increase the Maximum Frame Size up to 9216 to enable Jumbo Frame.

The results with ATTO disk benchmark are not conclusive

This is the result in a VM stored in the SAN

And this is the result in a VM stored in a standalone R710 with the exact same disks and RAID level but in an integrated 6Gb SAS

You can see that the Read (and even the Write) is much better...

Have you an explanation ? Is there a special configuration to do in the M6220 switches ?

Thanks in advanced, I really need your help.

• 

7.1K Posts

February 8th, 2012 13:00

Hello,

The difference that you are seeing is the fact that on the server it is a DAS (Direct Attached Storage ) as to the MD 3200i which is a NAS ( Network Attached Storage).  Your DAS storage is always going to show as being faster and have better read & write access then the NAS.  Where you are getting the slowdown is coming from the 2 controllers & cache memory on the MD3200i.  While it is not slowing it down a whole lot any time the read & writes go to the NAS it has to be acknowledged by both controllers and shared memory for both controllers which will cause a slowdown in data transfer.  Also the pass through ports will not work with the MD 3200i.

Let us know how it goes.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

February 8th, 2012 15:00

The difference that you are seeing is the fact that on the server it is a DAS (Direct Attached Storage ) as to the MD 3200i which is a NAS ( Network Attached Storage). 

The MD3200i is not a NAS. It's a SAN. These may be the same letters, but there is a huge difference between SAN and NAS. SAN stands for Storage Area Network and is a block level storage solution. NAS is a file level storage solution.

7 Posts

February 9th, 2012 00:00

OK and Thank You so much for your responses ! As you said, there will never be the same result between a R710 which is a DAS and a MD3200i. But is there somewhere a special configuration to do to optimize these results ? Is there something on the MD3200i or on the MD6220 side ?

And what about the MD3600i ? Can we expect to have better result ?

847 Posts

February 9th, 2012 08:00

Dang dude...    Those are outstanding iSCSI numbers.....      Are you really having performance issues?   I am shocked if so.

7 Posts

February 10th, 2012 00:00

Outstanding numbers ? When you were on a R710 and then you pass on a SAN architecture with a MD3200i and you see the difference between these values, it's not for me outstanding numbers.

Can we expect to have better result with a MD3600i or is it the same ?

Thanks

No Events found!