Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2009 14:00

Yosemite backup Error 2: End of data

Greetings,

We recently purchased an RD1000 backup device which shipped with Yosemite Backup for Dell, version 8.10-sp6.  Our OS is Server 2008 R2 x64.  I performed a default installation.  The server is not currently joined with a windows domain, and I left all of the Yosemite options as default.

Issue: Backup does not work

Symptoms: When I run a backup job the status changes to "Starting Hosts" and then a few seconds later goes straight to "Closing Device".  When I check the logs I see that there was an error encountered:  "Error 2: End of data".  I made sure that the backup device is specifically marked as the backup location, and I chose to back up only a single folder where I gave full persmission to the user object "Everyone".  I have also tried to run backups jobs using the default setting where everything is selected for backup.  Also the completed status remains at 0%.

Also before and after trying to run backups I ran these jobs in the following order: Format >> Erase >> Test Device, all came back with no errors and completed 100%.  Also Yosemite was installed using an account with Administrator permissions, and I have also tried to run it by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Is there an issue with WS2K8-R2?  Am I missing something permission-wise? Any advice? 

Thanks.

6 Posts

December 15th, 2009 05:00

Hello,

We are having exactly the same problem. The same 'error 2 : end of data' on a server 2008 with a RD1000 backup device. Have you found a solution yet? Thank you very much. I hope you can help me out !

Thanks again.

Andrew

December 16th, 2009 10:00

Hi Andrew,

No I have not found a solution yet.  Fortunately time is on my side.  I continued to troubleshoot and to try some of the other tasks to see if I could get it to work but I still have the same results.

I noticed that there is no information out there regarding this error.  I will be sure to post back if I figure out what is causing the error.

-Payson

6 Posts

December 16th, 2009 12:00

Hi,

I haven't found any information on this error either. I guess we are the only two with this problem... I also will keep you posted if I find a solution.

Thanks for replying

Andrew

December 16th, 2009 12:00

No problem.  Is your server joined to a windows domain?  I think that is my next step in testing, since the server I am on is currently not joined on a domain.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

No, my server is not connected to a domain, and the data that I am trying to backup resides on the local disks of the W2008 server.

Probably today I will call Dell Pro support. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Regards,

Andrew

December 17th, 2009 13:00

I performed these steps:

• Uninstalled Yosemite
  • Joined the computer to our windows domain
  • Reinstalled Yostemite
  • Performed a format job
  • Performed an erase job
  • Ran the deafult daily backup (failed)
  • Ran a specific backup on a test folder with generous permissions (failed)

The failed tasks have the same error as before (Errror 2: End of data).

December 17th, 2009 14:00

I also performed some more troubleshooting.  I created a user called "backup" and added it to the group Administrators and Backup Operators and attempted to change the service logon as from Local Sytem to "backup".  Did not work.

One interesting tidbit is that I went to uninstall the RD1000 Utilities that came with the installation CD and it said they were not installed. When you load the CD and it opens the installation start screen it may asy "Uninstall RD1000 Utilities (Not recommended)" but then if you try to uninstall them it says that the Utilities are not installed.

So I explored the cd and went to the RD1000 Utilities folder and ran setup from there, the drivers installed fine and I rebooted. I then installed Yostemite again with all the default values, ran a format, and erase job, backup still does not work, same results.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Seems like you did some good testing... too bad the results are still the same.

I didn't have time today to call Dell Pro Support, but I am going to do this next week for sure.

Andrew

December 18th, 2009 13:00

I just got off the phone with Dell support, apparently Yosemite Backup 8.1 does not work with Server 2008.  The proposed solution is to purchase either Backup Exec or Yosemite Backup 8.8.

The rep said he will continue to do research and get back to me but I'm not convinced there will be a fix.

Here is a table of OS's and supported software versions.

http://yt.barracudaware.com/support/os/yb.aspx

6 Posts

December 29th, 2009 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for that information. End of story...

Dell shouldn't deliver a backup system with their servers that is useless with the software they provide. I am curious wich solution they are going to offer.  I will let you know. This will be in the beginning of next year because the server is at a customer...

Thanks again !

Andrew

1 Message

December 29th, 2009 06:00

Hi guys, I have the same problem with the RD1000 internal in a T410, W2K8 R2 X64.

The guys from Dell spent quite a bit of time on the server today, without any luck.

I agree, Dell should not offer this solution if it will not work. When I ordered the server, I made my specs very clear, and that included running W2K8 R2 x64. I was assured that this device is sufficient.

I am busy downloading the newer trial version of Yosemite, will see how that goes. If it does, I will certainly demand that they give me the license for it or that they swap the device for a USB device which will work with Windows native backup.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 02:00

Hi,

Dell Support immediatly acknowledged that the Yosemite 8.10 is not compatible with Windows Server 2008. He told me to contact the sales person that sold me the server to request a more recent version of the software. I am waiting for a reply from the sales guy... Hope to get the software soon.

Andrew

September 22nd, 2010 11:00

Update:

The OEM version of Yosemite is incompatible with Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2.

The only other option is to purchase a full copy of the software.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2013 20:00

I am looking for the Yosemite 8.10 sp6 software   our system crashed and we need to restore and cant find our software that was shipped with our dell server.  

No Events found!