Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2015 05:00

dell poweredge 1950 not able to SAN BOOT

Hello,

We have 4 dell poweredge 1950 servers in our labs. I have connected a Hitachi Unified series HUS130 Storage box to these servers and I presented boot luns from this storage. when I try to load Windows 2008 R2 SP1 on these servers via. boot luns, It doesn't allow me to do it.

During the installation, I can see the disk getting loaded in the menu, where we need to choose the boot drive. But after selecting the drive, it says windows cannot be loaded to the drive and if i click on it , the below message is displayed.

"This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOs menu."

Can anyone sort out this issue please. Thanks in advance.

April 8th, 2015 09:00

Hello, shaikshail.

I was curious as to how you have it connected. Are you using iSCSI or fiber? What kind of cards are you using in the PE1950's? Are you able to boot into the card's BIOS, and enable boot from SAN?

Let me know.

3 Posts

April 8th, 2015 22:00

Hi DELL-Daniel ,

Thank you so much for the reply. I connected the storage through fiber channel ( no iscsi ) and the connection is direct with no switch in between. So I have kept the topology setting to FC-AL in the HBA Settings. Any thing else I have to change ?

The cards are from Emulex. and yes as i told you, I can go inside the card's BIOS settings by pressing ctrl+E and there are a number of settings there. I changed the topology to FC-AL in one of those settings. any other settings i have to do and where do I enable boot from SAN option here ?

Thanks in advance.

April 9th, 2015 12:00

So, I'm not that familiar with Hitachi's setup / software configuration or they're requirements / compatibility for the Emulex cards you're using, however, I know this:

With most vendors, the HLU (Host Lun Unit) MUST be 'HL-0'. If the host does not see the presented boot LUN as ID 0, it will not boot from it. It has to be the primary LUN

I would suggest obtaining some Hitachi documentation and possibly a support matrix if they offer one, and verify your hardware with it.

What is the model number of the Emulex card you're using?

3 Posts

April 10th, 2015 04:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I , anyways could solve the issue by doing changes in the boot configure parameters. I had to do few changes in the HBA BIOS boot configure parameters ( like TOPOLOGY , BOOT FROM SAN / BIOS ENABLE etc...) and then it worked.

Also one thing I noticed is ( I read this on another blog actually, with due respect to its writer ) , while booting from SAN this way, The adapter to which the LUN is presented should only be enabled. The second adapter should be in a disabled state. This sounds weird, but this is true and that is how it is working.

Thanks .

No Events found!