Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 31st, 2006 14:00

getting 660F to work under Windows 2003 with SANsurfer

I've seen posts that this will work but I'm smashing my head against a wall.

I have a Dell 1750, 51F, 660F w/ 7.83 and 1.95 firmwares and a QLOGIC 2200 with the latest drivers. I have the array initialized as RAID5 (14 x 73GB) with 1 hot spare and can see it fine in Array Manager 3.6 but can not create a volume in Array Manager or in Windows Disk Manager, it justs says Disk 0 and 1 are unknown and unreadable.

Likewise I can see it fine in SANsurfer and have enabled load balancing since the 660F has two connections to the 51F. How do I create a volume and am I going to have problems with multiple servers reading information from the array? Only 1 server will write but I want 4 reading (streaming video).

Thanks!

January 31st, 2006 17:00

speedkills20,

Try removing one of the cables that connect the 650 to the switch, or use some sort of path management software...

Also, only one server will be able to access the Lun at a time, even in a cluster the physical disk can only be accessed by one host at a time. since you only need 1 write and 4 reads, you could create 4 luns and replicate the data to each of them.

January 31st, 2006 22:00

I'm waiting on the datacenter to pull one of the plugs or tell what devices are connected to each device so I can just shut the port off at the switch.

Once I do this where do I actually go to partition the virtual drive? I thought I read that Windows disk manager wouldn't work. I only have StorageC 4.0 so that won't work on Windows 2003, am I using SANsurfer to partition it?

Given Dell's stance on Windows 2003 support I doubt I'll buy any more Dell products period, HP has much better support of legacy products.

Thanks for the help!

February 1st, 2006 20:00

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure storage C 5.0 will work with W2K3. As far as San Surfer, you will only use it to verify connectivity and manage the HBAs. If you can't get Storage C 5.0 then there are some other path managers...One I know of is VMware, It has built in path management including load balacing.

As far as Dell supporting legacy, the 660 maybe unique, I have a CX400 that they support. I can run it as is or I can even convert it to a CX 500 or CX700..That is pretty cool.
No Events found!