Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2010 03:00

restoration problem with W2008 storage server and NX3000

Hello!

I got a NX3000 with PERC H700, and i would like to do a factory restoration. I have the restoration DVD with WIN 2008 Storage Server. It stops during the boot process, when checking for hardware, with a "Error: -5002", impossible to find a RAID adapter.

I know that the PERC H700 is working, andI don't see any possibility to stop the process and to add a driver or something like this.

Any idea about that ?

thank you!

note : i dont want to save any data, i just want a basic restoration with all default softwares.

note: configuration is 2 raid1 sata disks for system and 4 raid5 sata disks for data, don't have any SAS disk

104 Posts

November 30th, 2010 07:00

This sounds like an issue with the reinstallation media. I recommend calling into support and requesting a dispatch of new reinstallation media.

-cjtompsett

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 01:00

i got an answer which is "don't use the restoration dvd" but boot the serve with the "Systems management tools and documentation", i think also called on the support web site "Dell Systems Build and Update Utility". With this linux based CD, you can start a restoration.

now, the support site say "To install Windows Server 2008 using this web package, you must download another application web package “Windows OS install support pack” from support.dell.com. Create your own optical media"

i can't find this package. any clue ?

Emmanuel

154 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 11:00

If you go to support.dell.com, click on drivers and downloads, you can enter your service tag, or search for product. If you search for product, select Servers and Storage, then select PowerVault Storage and then select NX3000, you get to this page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PWV_NX3000&os=LHS64&osl=en&catid=&impid=

(note: the above link might break sometime in the future... in which case, just follow the steps)

Then, expand the "Systems management" tab.

You will find both of the above packages there. The direct link to the Systems Build and Update Utility is below:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R251661&SystemID=PWV_NX3000&servicetag=&os=LHS64&osl=en&deviceid=24134&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=36&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=367903

104 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 20:00

The NX3000 OS can only be installed with the DVD image. It is a custom Dell OEM release of Windows Storage Server 2008. The issue you are having is due to an error with the image on the DVD you have. It is looking for the wrong PERC controller info. Call support with the NX3000 service tag, this will get you to the appropriate queue. Tell them to check there knowledge base for the error that you posted above and then request that they send you replacement media. This will resolve the issue.

-cjtompsett

3 Posts

December 7th, 2010 01:00

Solved!

@ mrokkam: i tried that, but impossible to download the interesting package. The page asks for a service tag, then nothing!

@cjtompsett : right, it can be reinstall directly from the good DVD.

i finally found by pure chance before calling again the support another DVD, lost somewhere in a box, called "resinstallation DVD, windows storage 2008 blah blah Service Pack 2"  This "SP2" makes the differences, because this one was able to detect PERC H700.

for information: the dvd will want a first virtual disk called "Virtual Disk 0" (zero), if not found, it will recreate something (but for me the automatic recreated disk was not bootable!)

win storage is up and running now.

thx

1 Message

December 7th, 2010 12:00

The reason the non-SP2 DVD did not work was because that version of the DVD did not contain the reinstallation logic to look for the PERC H700 and use the proper drivers. It was only looking for the older PERCs that no longer ship with new systems, which is why the newer SP2 installation DVD worked correctly.

With our currently shipping version of the NAS reinstallation DVD, we have added diagnostic information in the log that shows which controllers the reinstallation media supports to prevent confusion like this.

1 Message

January 5th, 2011 11:00

Dear!

I have the same issue on NX3000 i tried to reinstall. Unfortunately, i don't have wss 2008 sp2 DVD, so could you send me a link with iso file i can download?

Regards.

Franck

154 Posts

January 7th, 2011 13:00

Since this DVD contains an OS, it probably will not be posted online. You should call into Dell and request for them to send you a copy.

2 Posts

October 17th, 2011 04:00

Hi guys,

I know that this is old post but maybe I'll get my answer here. I have nx3000 and something went wrong with updates and the server kept restarting. I had to eventually reinstall using reinstallation DVD. I went through images provided by Dell under my service tag but none of them seem to be OS bootable DVD. Is there a chance to get the OS DVD but not the Reinstallation DVD? If not how I can restore OS after crash without reinstalling it?

thanks

africates

No Events found!