Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 13th, 2015 05:00

speed issue.

Hi

we have an issue with our backup device PowerVault 124T, we use backup exact as our makeup software, laatly when we try to backup when of our server it get along time to job completed.

the server that we try to backup has an virtual drive (from an MI3000I), sometimes rebooting the server that host the MI3000 device help, but 2 or 3 weeks later again the ame issue, but laatly even rebooting the server dont help.

I would like to know who we can troobleshoot this iisue.

Thanks

222 Posts

March 16th, 2015 05:00

Any update??

• 

6.9K Posts

March 16th, 2015 13:00

Hello mrshahin,

Which LTO tape drive do you have in your PV124T?  Also is the MD3000i direct connected to your Host or is it going through a switch?  Also are you using all 4 connections on the MD3000i?  What is the current version of firmware on the PV124T & the MD3000i?  Also which version of Backup Exec are you using as well?

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

222 Posts

March 17th, 2015 03:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply,

We have LTO5 in our Tape libray. the MD3000i is connected directly to the host server. we use only 2 connection, 1 is for the data transfer (iscsi) and one for the SAN management.

The current firmawre virsion of the MD3000i is:07.35.22.61 where can I find the firmware virsion of PV124T?

the virsion of the backup exact is 2010 R2.

Shahin

• 

6.9K Posts

March 17th, 2015 08:00

Hello Shahin,

You stated that you only have 1 connection from your MD3000i to your host? Is that 1 connection from each controller or is that a single connection from only one controller to the host?

222 Posts

March 17th, 2015 09:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply,

I sned you a picture of our SAN config:

http://imgur.com/RWn9EKY

• 

6.9K Posts

March 17th, 2015 10:00

Hello Shahin,

Thanks for the picture as that helps with understanding your setup.  So since you are backing up your data from your MD3000i to your PV124T I see the issue is with the MD3000i.  your main issue is that you only have a single connection to your MD3000i from a single controller to the host.  So all traffic iSCSI & backup is going through a single 1GB connection.  Now in your picture I see that you still have 2 free nic’s on your host.  What I would do is if available is that I would add a connection to the second controller to the server.  By adding the second connection will allow for better performance on your iSCSI as well as should improve your backup performance as well.  

222 Posts

March 18th, 2015 05:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply,

what I dont understand is why we didn't have this issue before? I mean the same tape library and the same SAN, so why this heppeing now? we have the same config dor almost 4 years and never we had this issue!!

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

March 18th, 2015 08:00

Hello Shahin,

It is hard to say why you weren’t seeing any issue before now. As with having only a single connection for all iSCSI traffic & doing backups I have most of the time seen speed issues if the backup is running when there is a medium to heavy load on the san that is being accessed.  Did you do any recent updates to the server ,MD, or the PV124T?

222 Posts

March 20th, 2015 02:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks as Always for your quick reply,

No we did not update any thing on the MD and PV124T. but server itself get updatede periodically.

also on the server under the optional windows update  I see one update for the storage Array Dell MD series UTM disk manager (from  2013)

From what I can see the back-up of one of the drives of the SAN take a long time. and I during the back-up of the files on this drive I did check the drive and I could see that the shdow copy of this drive was running on a different drive. I did spok to the Microsoft about this and if it would create an issue for the backup apeed and they said NO.

my question is,

can we use the second ISCSI connection only for the backup? or it is not possible.

Also how should we configure the second ISCSI witout any down time of the SAN.

222 Posts

March 31st, 2015 03:00

any update on my last reply?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 31st, 2015 13:00

Hello Shahin,

You are not able to configure the second iSCSI connection just for backups. You can configure the new iSCSI sessions while your current sessions are running. To configure the new sessions you can follow the instructions on page 35 of the link listed below. http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_powervault/powervault-md3000i_User%27s%20Guide20_en-us.pdf

222 Posts

April 7th, 2015 02:00

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your update,

If I understood you correctly you want me to configure the second ISCSI connection. Currently the RAID Controler Module 0 Port 0 (192.168.130.101) says configured and is connected to the one of the NIC of the Host server (192.168.130.100) and the rest of the 3 RAID controlers has IP address but says unconfigured. for configuring the second ISCI I should follow these setps:

1. choose the RAID controler  Module 0 Port 1 (192.168.131.101)

2. on the current host server pick a NIC and give it an manual IP address 192.168.131.100.

3. connect the RAID Module 0 Port 1 to the newlly configured NIC on the Host server.

is this enough? I mean from now this new connection also would be used for the data tranfer between the SAN and the Host? and also doing so will not interpret the data traffic of the current ISCI connection right?

• 

6.9K Posts

April 8th, 2015 08:00

Hello Shahin,

Yes you want to have a minimum of 2 connections going to your host.  With having 2 connects to your host you will be able to use both connections for iSCSI traffic & will be able to be used during backups.  Yes you can add the second connection & it will not have any impact on the current connection form the host to the MD3000i.

4 Posts

April 10th, 2015 22:00

Which version of server you are backing up from?

For details of used products see this 

222 Posts

April 15th, 2015 07:00

is a server 2008 R2

No Events found!