Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2022 22:00

3620 Internal Sata Ports

Hi Gang

Picking up a stripped down 3620 i7 7700K and will format a new (2TB WD Black System Drive 3.5) using Windows 10 Pro DVD Disc. Will need to determine which Sata Port on the motherboard is used for the system drive? And would like to use the other #3 sata ports for reading/writing to external drives; (enclosures with sata/esata ports). Is there any nomenclature on the motherboard identifying the appropriate port for the system drive? Any specific Bios assignments? Can I use this 4 port sata bracket (below) with appropriate cables? Will I be able to read and write to/from the #3 externals simultaneously? Could not do this with older Optiplexes.

Internal to External eSATA 4 Port PCI Bracket 

Thank You

Mike 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 13th, 2022 06:00

@WWII Researcher 

You need to start a new thread. One post is not cart blanche for endless amount of questions.

T3620 Spec Sheet

I'm not Dell and I"m not Intel and therefore won't be identifying or fixing anything. Totally unsure how to tell.

Intel 6 Series Express Chipsets for the Sandy Bridge and Intel Xeon C200 Series, particularly H67, P67 and the first generation mobile chipsets HM65, HM67, QM67, QS67, UM67 might exhibit a defect in the SATA-II controller.  All motherboards with Cougar Point chipsets delivered on or after 9 January will have to be exchanged according to information currently available.

The Problem

The SATA-2 ports—more specifically ports 2 through 5 (3 GBit/s (3G))—might begin to work unreliably with time or, in the worst case scenario, stop working completely.  Hard discs and DVD burners connected to through these ports might begin to react unpredictably or no longer react at all, provided there's a defect in the SATA-2 ports.  The SATA-6G ports (6 GBit/s) should not be affected by this defect according to Intel.

You could ask @DELL-Cares 

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 13th, 2022 18:00

@WWII Researcher 

Though the questions have been numerous (Optiplex & Precision), nothing wrong with using the same thread for questions on the same PC.

Not picking on anybody, but we've also seen new threads started for various questions on the same PC.  It added to confusion if the OP didn't re-mention PC & specs each time.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 12th, 2022 05:00

@WWII Researcher 

The BLUE port is the boot drive.  Blue  SATA 0 is the standard color for the system drive cable and Orange SATA 1 is the color of the Optical drive cable. The Black port next to the blue one is port 1. The white ports are 2 and 3.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175268398921

Older Optiplex example.Older Optiplex example.

121 Posts

May 12th, 2022 09:00

Thank you Cmdr. speedstep

Other than assigning the Optical Drive as 'Boot Drive' for the OS, Any other specific Bios assignments?

And ..

Will I be able to read and write to/from the other #3 externals simultaneously?

Thanx again (appreciate it)

Mike

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 12th, 2022 10:00

@WWII Researcher 

Some Model boards with SANDY Bridge chipset have defective chipset so that the 3rd and 4th ports SHOULD NOT BE USED.   I'm just remembering that now.

So you will want to use a Rocket 622 ESATA board instead.

HighPoint-Rocket 622 B0034CQR8A

intel_sandy_bridge_recall_what you_need_know

121 Posts

May 12th, 2022 15:00

Thanks Cmdr. speedstep (thanx for the article)

Is there a way to determine if my 2017 3620 i7 7700K motherboard has a defective Sandy Bridge Chipset? 

Actually I prefer a Four Port Sata/Esata card like this one:

4-Port 6 Gb/s SATA Solution for Mac & PC Desktops with PCIe Slots 

Thanks Again

Mike

121 Posts

May 13th, 2022 23:00

Yes Brad - Confusion Unfortunately Abounds... I understand ..

I will not 'appear' to take advantage of anyone or any service .... You guys have been great! (thank you)

I'll close the thread and get out of here ...

Maybe I can send you a personal message regarding this chipset issue? Meanwhile I need to send this 3620 back to the seller ..

Thanks for everything ...!

Mike

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 14th, 2022 10:00

No need to send PM (private message) me regarding chipset.  While I usually can answer chipset questions, I think they're better answered in the forum.

In my post above that you kindly gave kudos and accepted as solution, I wanted to make sure you felt welcome to continue to use the forum.

No Events found!