Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MH

3 Posts

January 19th, 2023 13:00

Dell Precision 3450 Thermal Management/Throttling Issue

i5-10505. Running latest bios and Windows 11 Pro - insider release beta...Have run Dell Command Update and Support Assist. My cpu fan "works" because 1) I can hear it if I put my ear to the PC and can feel air moving out the back, and 2) when I turn the fan option on in the bios it will run full speed.

However, when there is a load on the cpu, the fan will not speed up...at all. Once the cpu temp gets to 90c it will thermal throttle. I use HWinfo to monitor.  Coincidently, the high performance power plan no longer allows the cpu to downclock, setting the min to 0 and max to 100, and active cooling worked perfectly fine until November 2022 (around the time I updraded from 10 pro to 11 pro). Now, only way to get cpu to downclock is to use balanced power plan. Speedstep, Speedshift, Turbo Boost, and C-states are all enabled in bios. I suspect a thermal management issue, but all intel drivers and chipsets are correct and up-to-date, same with Dell drivers. Something isn't telling the fan to speed up. Not sure if related, but there is no Intel Dynamic Management and Thermal driver available for my system. Any ideas?

• 

25.7K Posts

January 19th, 2023 13:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

January 25th, 2023 06:00

After much troubleshooting, we (Dell Support and myself) have determined that the cpu fan and heatsink assembly have failed. Maybe a bad sensor. Dell is going to replace the fan and heatsink. I will report again after the repair has been completed.

February 15th, 2023 08:00

After replacing the fan and heatsink, the problem has persisted. A second service request is now pending and Dell is going to replace the motherboard. I will report again after the repair has been completed.

No Events found!