Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

November 27th, 2019 19:00

Dell Precision T7600 unable to shut down, fans to max, no power off with button

I have a Dell Precision T7600 and am having some issues.  I am running ubuntu 18.04 as my OS.

1. I am unable to completely power off the PC by OS or by power button.  I have sleep/hibernate disabled in BIOS.  The fans go to maximum, the displays go dark and the power button stays lit.  The only way to stop this is to disconnect the power cord.

2.  when I hold the power button in, the pc will turn off.  On every other PC I have used holding the button in for a few seconds powers the machine off.

3.  On some reboots from the OS, the machine will not come back.  Again disconnecting and reconnected the power is the only way to get the machine back up.

November 28th, 2019 05:00

Hello, thanks for reaching out to us.

Could you please run the hardware diagnostics once by tapping F12 during start and run the test. Let me know if its passed or failed?

Also, the operating system you are using was it originally shipped with the system?

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings and check what is selected under "When I press the power button" change it to "Shut Down"

5 Posts

November 29th, 2019 00:00

I am running Ubuntu 18.04

The thorough Diagnostic Tests passed successfully, although it could not detect the hard drives.  I got

"Msg:  Hard Drive - No Hard Drive Detected, or disk controller not supported"

but the controller / hard drives are seen in BIOS, on startup, and in the the OS.

The issue happened again when I exited the BIOS, fans to max, screen black, no reboot.  Had to disconnect/reconnect power to get the system back.

BIOS:  A17 (latest)    /  Additional Sleep states :  Disabled (unchecked)

Power setting in OS:  Automatic Suspend: Off    |   when the button is pressed : Power Off

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

November 29th, 2019 17:00

Has the size 2032 CMOS battery been replaced in any recent history?  If not, 7 yrs. is quite a stretch for battery that lasts around 5 yrs.  A low battery can cause all sorts of bizarre problems.

If replacing it doesn't work, at worst you'll have a new battery.

I'd get either Energizer or Duracell lithium.  Sony only lasted me 2 yrs.

Precision T7600 Owner's Manual 

5 Posts

November 30th, 2019 12:00

Battery has been changed to a nice shiny Duracell.  I left the battery out for a minute and pressed and held the power button with the power disconnected.   I got the invalid config message on boot and when into the bios and changed the settings.

No change in behavior.   as soon as i exited the BIOS, fans to max, and no boot screen.

disconnected and reconnected the power to get the system to boot.

December 2nd, 2019 02:00

Hello, 

Thanks for the detailed description. As per the message in the diagnostics did you receive any error and validation code or just HDD not installed? 

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 15:00

IMG_20191129_015013.jpg

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 15:00

IMG_20191129_001812.jpg

No Events found!