Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2018 09:00

Dell precision 7820 Thunderbolt add in card.

I just bought a Precision 7820 workstation that was delivered.  I would like to add a thunderbolt 3 card.  It was an option for this computer that I didn't take.  I bought an ASUS Expansion Card for Z170 & X99 Motherboards ThunderboltEX 3.  It needs a TBT header which is a 5 pin socket on the motherboard.  It looks like there is a place for one on the motherboard in a similar position to the Precision 7810.  It is marked TBT and the solder holes are there but no socket is installed???  The BIOS has an option for turning Thunderbolt support. 

Dell tells me that you can't install Thunderbolt card after purchasing.  Why is this?  Is this true?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 13th, 2018 11:00

The documentation DOES NOT LIST the 7820 as compatible.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-t5810-workstation_white-papers3_en-us.pdf

1.  There is NO SUCH THING as a thunderbolt add in card.  The boards that have this use a PCI-E card as a mounting bracket.  The actual Thunderbolt is a chip and header on the board.  You cannot ADD thunderbolt to a system that does not have the actual thunderbolt 2 or 3 controller onboard with internal GPIO connector.  This is also why its not a universal add on.

2.  Thunderbolt 2 looks like mini display port.  Thunderbolt 3 uses USB C type connector. This further confuses people.  You can add USB 3 but this DOES NOT make it thunderbolt.  USB 3 is not thunderbolt and vice versa.  There ARE NO THUNDERBOLT PCI-E cards because thunderbolt comes from the motherboard via GPIO connection.  There are no standards for GPIO thunderbolt from the motherboard.

3.  There IS NO STANDARD for thunderbolt so each OEM's card is different. A Dell card is for Dell Only and an ASUS card is for ASUS ONLY.

4.  There are INTERNAL and External Cables required for a thunderbolt AIC.

https://youtu.be/e_CnQJY4NoY

Thunderbolt goes to the card and Display port wraps into the card via cables.  Without these cables and POWER from the PCI-E bus these cards do not work and therefore are not interchangeable or applicable to ANY other system.  You can't use the ASUS card in a dell and you cant use the DELL card in an ASUS for example.

People see this card and think that if they have a PCI-E bus they can upgrade to thunderbolt.  This is not the case.

A complete Kit has 3 pieces its not ronco plug in card set it and forget it.  There is 1 AND ONLY 1 slot that it works in.  

Each vendor makes their own cables and card.

The pictures are important because sometimes even Dell spare parts will claim that something you want to order does not exist.  Its kind of hard for them to dispute physical pictures of the parts and boxes etc.

The 7HMHP is the Card.

That doesn't cover the GPIO and Display port cables however.

These are NOT optional.

There are 2 Kits I have Identified.

540-BBJC    UK version

540-BBIO     USA version

Interface cards/adapters Thunderbolt PCIe card for DELL Precision 1700, 5810

GGTXK  is the Display port wrap thru cable.

NK4P3 is the GPIO cable to the motherboard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Dell-7HMHP-GGTXK-NK4P3-540-BBJC-Thunderbolt-PCIe-x1-Card-Full-Height-...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 13th, 2018 11:00

Sounds like they use a slightly different motherboard with that header when you accept the TB option. 

If you're within the 21(?)-day time limit for returns, you might consider returning this system and ordering one that has the TB option...

7 Posts

August 1st, 2018 14:00

I would like to thank Alasdair (the moderator of this page) and Justin, both from Dell, for their expert assistance.  They provided fantastic customer service and were a pleasure to work with!  All their information was accurate and to the point.  And better yet, I now have two working Thunderbolt 3 ports on my new Dell Precision 7820!:Smile:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 6th, 2021 16:00

There is no upgrade and thunderbolt 3 is now end of life.

USB4 will be coming soon.

The card doesnt work if your board doesnt have the controller and header.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000130984/

555-BEOX

The kit contains the card (p/n# P1XY1, CRD,NTWK,I/O,PCIE,TBT3,FH,V2) and cable ( p/n# H71G3, ASSY,CBL,DP1.3,TBT3/USB3.1,D8)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 13th, 2018 13:00

@Timgra wrote:

I just bought a Precision 7820 workstation that was delivered.  I would like to add a thunderbolt 3 card.  It was an option for this computer that I didn't take

Sounds like this was the first miss-step. After that, I don't think you can easily recover and get back on the right path.

7 Posts

July 13th, 2018 14:00

It's a high end workstation. For a $67.00 I/O option you'd think they wouldn't be so cheep as to remove the possibility of installing it in the future! After all they brag about how expandable the Precision is.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

July 20th, 2018 03:00

Hi @Timgra,

Add-in cards on the newer Precision systems that support Thunderbolt (xx20,xx30) don't require a GPIO cable/header. All that is required is the card and a DisplayPort 1.3 to Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Cable (usually supplied with the card). On the 7820 it is supported on PCIe slots 4 and 5.

As far as I know support doesn't extend to the use of 3rd party cards.

It should be possible to add the card after point of sale, the only reason I can think that you were advised otherwise would be that the part wasn't/isn't in stock.

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 08:00

I buy Dell products for both home and work and was surprised when I was told it was not available.  Can you send me the part number of the card so I can reference it?  They must be available since it is still an option on the Dell website for the Precision 7820.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 09:00

It comes as a customer kit, SKU number: 555-BEOX

The kit contains the card (p/n# P1XY1, CRD,NTWK,I/O,PCIE,TBT3,FH,V2) and cable ( p/n# H71G3, ASSY,CBL,DP1.3,TBT3/USB3.1,D8)

I hope this helps.

7 Posts

July 24th, 2018 10:00

I called Dell and they are completely confused about this.  The Thunderbolt 3 cards are obviously available somewhere because Dell is installing them in new computers.  The part numbers that you gave me are correct but the Dell representative said Thunderbolt 3 cards are not in stock but the cable is in stock.  Any help from Dell with this would be appreciated.  

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

July 25th, 2018 09:00

Please send me a PM (click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page) with your service tag and contact details. I'll see if it's possible to source the parts.

Quite often parts that are in short supply will be held for use only in manufacturing and for repair of in-warranty systems, they aren't made available for sale.

7 Posts

July 25th, 2018 10:00

Thanks!  I sent the PM with my service tag.

1 Message

November 26th, 2018 16:00

I am having the same issue trying to get a Thunderbolt 3 cards installed on my 7820 workstation.  Dell has not really been able to answer my questions.  Is it possible?

7 Posts

November 27th, 2018 12:00

Yes it is possible but you need the Dell card.  Add-in cards on the newer Precision systems that support Thunderbolt (xx20,xx30) don't require a GPIO cable/header like the third party cards do. All that is required is the card and a DisplayPort 1.3 to Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Cable (usually supplied with the card). On the 7820 it is supported on PCIe slots 4 and 5.

The Dell precision 7820 Thunderbolt add in card 
comes as a customer kit, SKU number: 555-BEOX

It worked for me.

2 Posts

July 4th, 2019 06:00

I know this thread is almost a year old but can you please look at my new thread for the 3630?

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Fixed-Workstations/Thunderbolt-3-Card-for-Precision-3630-Tower/m-p/7327300#M2390

I’m hoping DELL-Alasdair R can help!

Thank you

No Events found!