Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 10:00

GPT HDD on T3500

Is there any way I can install windows 10 on my T3500 on 3TB HDD? I've installed it without any problem while my drive was on MBR but I lost more than 750 GBs!

Would really appreciate it if anyone can help me 

46 Posts

March 2nd, 2020 12:00

This is odd.

Is drive damaged?  What do you mean you "lost" 750G?

(also, why on earth are you installing your system on an enormous storage drive?)

March 2nd, 2020 22:00

I lost 750 GBs when I converted it to MBR to install windows on it, then I realized if I want to get the full capacity I have to convert it to GPT but unfortunately I can't install windows on a GPT drive since my PC doesn't support UEFI

Also, I'm using only 400 GBs for the windows because my SSD is damaged and I have a lot of work to do until I buy a new one

22 Posts

May 26th, 2020 03:00

To convert a 2TB+hard drive from GPT to MBR, you might find some disk space is lost after conversion. That's because the MBR disk can only support a 2TB hard drive at most. In this case, you can open Disk Management (a windows native hard disk manager), where you will find the lost space is shown as unallocated space at the end of the disk. You can add it to the partition that's at the right adjacent side to extend the partition.

590 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 06:00

The boot drive in a non-UEFI, Legacy BIOS system like the T3500 must be initialized to MBR and not GPT.  MBR has a 2TB partition limit.  What you can do with a 3TB physical drive, though, is have a primary 2TB partition and a 1TB secondary data partition.  In Windows you'd see a 2 TB C: drive and 1 TB D drive.

No Events found!