Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

October 4th, 2020 11:00

Hard Drive Tray for Precision 3640 Desktop

Can anyone let me know the part number or where to purchase several of the plastic "trays" to install a 3.5 inch hard drive in a new Precision 3640 Desktop ?

Are these plastic "trays / bays / caddies" compatible with other Dell desktop lines?  which might yield more more options for purchasing.

I chatted with Dell support and they mentioned 575-BBWY but this part doesn't appear in any searches on the Dell site. Another Dell support chat mentioned that they were available only refurbished for $$ but wouldn't give a part number

The Service manual shows these as blue plastic pieces, but does not refer to a part number:

DellHDTrayImageP3640.png

• 

25.1K Posts

October 4th, 2020 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

1 Message

October 28th, 2020 20:00

I have the same question. Where can I get the plastic "trays" to install a 3.5 inch hard drive in a new Precision 3640 Desktop ?

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2020 09:00

>I have the same question. Where can I get the plastic "trays" to install a 3.5 inch hard drive in a new Precision 3640 Desktop ?

After few comments based on my experience with the Precison 3640 and additional HDs:  

- You CAN mount the 3.5 inch hard drive's directly to the sheet-metal bracket in the Precision 3640 without the plastic piece.  BUT the HD can be dreadfully noisy due to the whole Precision frame resonating!!!  In addition to normal HD activity inducing noise, I have a Western Digital Black which has this 'wonderful' feature of 'clunking' every 4 seconds (supposedly a feature to keep the bearings in the drive from sticking).  I installed the HD using silicone bushings, but the vertical drive tray is hard to isolate (because of the side load on the mounting screws).

Compared to my old Corsair Computer case (with same drive), this Dell Precision case  is noisy when used with traditional (non SSD) HDs

- Plastic HD Brackets.
   I was finally able to order the plastic hard-drive adapter trays after a lots of hassle.  For some bizarre reason, Dell, which in normal situations is quite organized, doesn't make this purchase possible on the web site. There doesn't seem to be a part number.  I had several run-arounds, at one point the 'parts were unavailable' then another call they were overpriced at >$30.  Finally I placed an order over the phone, here's the part name on the invoice:
                    Tray,HDD,3.5,R5

- Noise
    I haven't received the plastic brackets yet, but I'm hoping they provide some level vibration isolating to quiet the unbearable noise.

3 Posts

November 5th, 2020 14:00

As a follow up to help others:  Review of Dell plastic hard drive trays

I received my order for two Dell plastic hard-drive (HD) trays for my P3640 and installed both. The quality of the tray construction is high. They have 4 metal posts connected to the plastic through silicone inserts. The trays nicely slide into the sheet metal bays in the desktop case. 

The plastic trays made a noticeable improvement in reducing the harshness of the HD noise when compared to 'hard mounting' the drives. 

The label on the plastic tray says:
  "Made in China; DP/N 065KHD; CN 065KHD-CKC00-9C9-C0VI-A00" with a QR code.

I was charged about $11 each.

In hindsight, I wish Dell would have included at least one of these with the original computer or given us an option to buy these at purchase time.  I wasted a lot of time hunting for the part on Dells website, calling, etc. The whole point of me buying a Dell desktop rather than building up one myself was to save time.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2021 01:00

Hello,

I am interrested by these plastic tray support too but I could not found from where ordering them.
I have contacted Dell via the chat who gave me a number to call for the technical support which finally told me that they do not have this information and I should found them from the main Ireland Dell web site (and not my local one) but until now I could not found the part references you mentionned in your post.

Could you tell me from where you managed to order these plastic tray parts please ? (a direct URL would be even better)

Many thanks in advance for your help as I have no idea why these plastic stuff are so rare....

Best regards
Eric

573 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 22:00

Hi @Satcat ,

Part number 575-BBWY exist in a Dell PDF in Japanese:

caddy.JPG

And I can find it from some Chinese site. Not sure if it's a part number for Asia market only.

Luckily, @DELL-Chris M answered your question before in this post, and the part number is 65KHD.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

June 23rd, 2023 03:00

For 3.5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225587836923

-----------------------

For 2 2.5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325665620903

No Events found!