Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

April 22nd, 2021 03:00

Loud front fan Dell Precision 3640

I recently purchased a Dell Precision 3640, which I have configured on the Dell homepage myself.

For the cooling system (front fan) there were 4 different configurations options. (No front fan, 120 mm front fan, 92 mm front fan, 92 mm front fan and Y-cable).

I chosed the option 120 mm front fan, what in retrospect was the wrong decision because this front fan is quite noisy.

Because Dell offers the option without front fan, it seems that it isn't mandatory to have a front fan in this system.

In a test I unplugged the front fan and then the fan noise disappeared completely. The other fans of the CPU, graphic adapter and powersupply were almost not hearable.

But unfortunately I got I BIOS message at boot time, that the front fan wasn't working what obviously is true. But I did not found a configuration option in the BIOS to tell the motherboard that the front fan isn't present.

The question now is, if it is possible to configure my workstation in the field to the configuration without front fan, which is also a legal configuration by Dell because they offer it at the configuration page.

1 Message

June 21st, 2021 06:00

I have exactly the same big disappointment: the 120mm front fan is noisy.
Has anyone found a solution?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 21st, 2021 09:00

mechanical hard drives unfortunately heat it up quite a lot.

If you change the drives to ssd it will be less noizy.

unless its the GPU fan and not the front fan making the noise.

1 Message

November 19th, 2021 03:00

I have the same problem - noisy 120 mm front fan. Have you found solution ? 

2 Posts

June 10th, 2022 02:00

I had the same issue, I found out that the front 120mm fan is just a regular 4-pin fan inside a fancy shroud, I just ordered a quiet decent quality 120mm fan and will replace it probably early next week. Will let you know how it worked. BTW removing the fan from the shroud does not require any tools.20220610_115137.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

117 Posts

June 10th, 2022 07:00

You can buy a slow-speed cable to solve it.

2 Posts

June 13th, 2022 11:00

Just replaced the fan. For now it works like a charm. I bought Arctic P12 PWM PST which cost me 22PLN (about 4,50 EUR). It is so silent that now I started hearing the top fan. Jokes aside If anyone is interested I will keep you updated in a few days/weeks on how this works in CPU/GPU heavy loads. 

No Events found!