Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

7 Posts

June 13th, 2020 09:00

New precision build ssd problem

Hi I recently have built a dell precision workstation pc and installed new better parts and an ssd in. Whenever I try to install windows and get to the point where I select my drive, my ssd wont show up. I've researched this problem but had no luck. I was wondering since I have an older version of the bios if I have to install the most recent version for it to find my ssd. The bios download page on Dell's website says that the current update is urgent. But I've heard people say that it is risky updating the bios. I would appreciate some advice since this is my first time building a pc. Thankyou.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 16th, 2020 18:00

I've done BIOS updates from Dell's site and they went smoothly.  It can be a risk if the power goes out or the PC loses power during - then the MB can end up being bricked.

Do you have PC you can format the SSD on?  It would be creating a partition for the OS.  Like an HDD, far as I know, an SSD won't take anything until it's formatted.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 16th, 2020 18:00

Format to NTFS.  If it's below 2TB, use MBR partition scheme.  If 2TB+, GPT.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

June 29th, 2020 02:00

I recently installed a Samsung 970 evo SSD NVMe M.2 1TB on a PCIe carrier card into a Precision T3620. At first the SSD did not show in file manger (with a drive letter for example) which also threw me initially. But it makes sense...

...you can see the SSD device in the disk partition/format tool - it is just that the SSD arrives in a blank state ready for any any system (not just Win PC), so that's why you don't see it. So you do need to format it first. I selected GPT and not MBR on the vague understanding that GPT is somehow newer and/or better.

Once a format was done, the Samsung Data Migration tool did a copy/clone of my old HDD C: boot drive (source) to the new SSD stick (target). 3620 bios then allowed a change to the boot order. But I also disconnected the old HDD's SATA and power cables to be sure.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 15:00

Hi,

For what it's worth, I have just built a Dell precision T5500 using a new 1TB SSD and the BIOS which was at A09 (so quite old) detected it OK and then I was able to install Windows 10 pro v1909 without any apparent issues. I too am wondering if I should update the BIOS but would need a good reason to do so. I have also seen the 'urgent' tag next to A18 but don't know why it is shown that way? I have also read that people have had issues with BIOS versions above A16 so don't know what version is appropriate for my build and whether leaving it at A09 will give me problems down the line? Hope this info helps a bit.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

July 16th, 2020 16:00

I have always relied upon the Dell Support Assistant software to update BIOS inter alia. So it should be the latest  - no probs thus far.

No Events found!