Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Message

July 31st, 2021 08:00

Precision 3240 - Upgrades - Intel 11th gen support

I have a precision 3240 compact and am looking to upgrade. Right now I have a basic config with an i3-10100, 1tb WD SN750, and 8GB ram. I have the base AC adapter (135Watts?). I am looking to purchase an 11th gen i5/i7 with uhd750 for the better iGPU and extra cores. I also contacted Dell about the larger CPU cooler as thermals are already not great. 

I saw some 11th gen BIOS updates for other desktops but not for the 3240. I was wondering if anyone knows what the support status is: plug-and-play, BIOS update available, or nothing at all. 

Thanks. 

6 Posts

August 29th, 2021 09:00

I'm interested in the same thing.

@Quantmanjust to add to this discussion, I noticed a website where they're selling the Compact with the 11th gen processors:

https://dell.laptopdirect.co.za/Dell-DTDE3240PTI716512W10-p-255242.php

I am wondering whether it's the same motherboard that we have, or it's also an upgraded motherboard. Would appreciate it if anyone has any insights.

49 Posts

December 28th, 2021 12:00

I am interested in this also.   I purchased an i5-11500 cpu with the hope of it working on my 3240 compact with the i5-10500 cpu.  Unfortuately it would not work. Is a BIOS upgrade needed  and where can I find it.

49 Posts

December 29th, 2021 07:00

I contacted Dell about this and they have done nothing all year.. It does not appear to be a priority to them.  Sad.  The i5-1150 has some interesting upgrades such as faster memory (3200) and the 750 graphics. The only upgrade that will work at this time is to the i7-10700 which does have slightly faster memory (2900) and the usual I7 features over the i5.  I bought the Compact becaus it has a PCI 3 slot that I can put a graphics card in so there's that.

49 Posts

December 31st, 2021 06:00

The 3240 is not a good prospect for upgrading to an 11th gen. I know because I tried.   There are Dell Small Form computers using 11th Gen but they have a much bigger cooling system  There are also Some Ultras with 11th gen in them but those are the T series and thermally  limited to 34 watts. I get the feeling that the main problem is heat dissipation.  

49 Posts

January 2nd, 2022 08:00

Just want to fix a few things. 

The 3240 is not a good prospect for upgrading to an 11th gen chip. I know because I tried.   There are Dell Small Form computers using 11th Gen but they have a much bigger cooling system  There are also some Micros with 11th gen in them but those are the T series and thermally limited to 35 watts.  There are Ultras with gen 11 too but they use a different chip and limited to 28 watts. I get the feeling that the main problem is heat dissipation.  The Compact seems to use the same heatsink as the Micro but remember the Micro is limited to 35 watts.  A Compact model would need a larger heat sync to handle a Gen 11. The Xeon Compact has an 80 watt heatsink  that looks compatible but availability is unknown.  Dell changed the heatsink of the Compact and Micro to a three pin mount where the standard is 4 pin so it is difficult to get a bigger heatsink to fit the3 pin mounts on the motherboard. And even if you did there is still the problem of getting a Bios update to accept the Gen 11. It looks like an upgrade to a I7 if you have an i5 is the most feasible path and if you have an I7 that is as good as it gets. . Good luck!

49 Posts

January 10th, 2022 13:00

Just another update for those upgrading the CPU.  As per a previous message thread I contacted Dell sales for parts and upgrades at 1-800-357-3355 about a bigger heatsink.  The number given on the previous thread was invalid.   The part number for the 80 watt heat sink was valid as KJ6KH.  The Dell representative was very helpful and let me know that I could order the larger three post heatsink for $21 and to really put a smile on my face let me know I could use rewards dollars to pay for it!  I placed the order immediately! This is for the heatsink only but I can either modify the old fan setup or install a case fan.

49 Posts

February 22nd, 2022 13:00

Final update.  I was able to obtain the fan assembly that fits the 80 watt heat sink.

ASSY, FAN, BLWR, MONTARA, 80W   Part#: FKGPC    $11    

ASSY, HEAT SINK, MONTARA, 80W   Part#: KJ6KH      $21 

These are a nice upgrade. The larger heat sink and fan cage really help with the cooling . You are going to need both of course. The price is very reasonable. If you are upgrading to the I7-10700 CPU you should definitely do it. The space is there to do it and it looks good and fits perfectly

No Events found!