Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SW

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 11th, 2021 07:00

Precision 3630 won't boot after shutdown Windows

Machine with latest BIOS. After shutting down Windows 10, the machine will not boot when the power button is pressed; it cannot find a boot device. When the power cord is pulled and plugged back in, the machine boots without problem. Checked all cables. Re-seated the m.2 'drive'. reset BIOS to BIOS and Factory-default. Doesn't make a difference. Ran a self test and it doesn't find any problems. What could cause this behaviour? And how to fix it?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 11th, 2021 08:00

How are you shutting down the computer? Are you using the Start Button and selecting Shutdown? Or right clicking on the Start button and selecting Shutdown from the menu?  If you are doing anything else, change to one of these methods.

More shutdown info-- How To Properly Shut Down A Windows 10 PC (lifehacker.com.au)

Check Event Viewer for any errors about shutdown.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

August 11th, 2021 09:00

Try :

Control panel > Power Options > System Settings
and uncheck  Turn on fast startup ( if on and greyed, click first on Change settings that are currently unavailable)

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 11th, 2021 23:00

Windows is shut down as it should - Windows Start menu > Shutdown

When the machine is subsequently started (by pressing the power button on the case), it doesn't find a boot device. Opening the BIOS, the drive isn't there. When the power cord is pulled and then reseated, the machine starts without problems.

We have a bunch of 3630 machines and only one of them is having this problem.

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 12th, 2021 01:00

Like I said - depends on how the machine is started. If it's on stand-by, and then switched on, the drive isn't there. BIOS nor diagnostics. When the power cord is pulled and reseated, the drive reappears.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

August 12th, 2021 01:00

What about going F12 diagnostics ? would still not see the boot drive ?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

August 12th, 2021 02:00

Well, that's why I suggested turning off Quick Boot ( to remove the partial hibernation from the equation ).

I assume the drive stays if doing reboots.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

Ah ok. mmm and I assume that this specific machine has not received a driver update by error ( compared to the others )

The point with the previous questions is because I had something slightly similar happening but it impacted a randomly connected drive ( not the nvme ) and it was caused by a bug of the RSTe driver in conjunction with recovering from sleep/hibernate. But this seems definitely different.

Weird question maybe, but ... what about putting a new cmos battery ? ( in case the one onboard is low and causing quirks )

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

Hibernation / Quick Boot is turned off on all our machines (powercfg.exe /hibernate off). When I say the machine is in stand-by, I mean the power cord is connected to the machine, so the motherboard receives power.

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 14th, 2021 18:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

August 14th, 2021 19:00

Well yes, my system is working fine.

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 17th, 2021 02:00

@Simon Weel wrote:
Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.

Weird - I didn't post this?

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

August 17th, 2021 04:00

I felt it was strange...

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

January 18th, 2022 05:00

Old topic - but it seems resolved. I tried all different suggestions, but they didn't solve the problem. Then I remembered I had put in a couple of extra 16 GB memory modules, so it had 64 GB in total. Although the modules were same spec as the ones already in the machine, Lansweeper reported a different speed for them? Not so with Powershell. A bit awkward - which is reporting the right values? Anyway, decided to remove those extra modules and.... problem seems solved!

No Events found!