Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

December 7th, 2018 10:00

Precision 3930 Caddy?

So, it's been a long time since I've bought a server, but I have literally never bought a computer or chassis that I couldn't install my own drives in.  But I recently snagged the new Precision 3930 to be the brain of a live music show.  I got it with an nvme boot drive and two empty 3.5 bays because I already have drives.  So I ordered it with blanks - in hindsight, I get that blanks aren't caddies (even though literally every chassis I have ever purchased had caddies filling up all the "blank" spaces).  So I jump on Dell.com to buy caddies....and I can't.  Support says they aren't available. 

I figure I can just grab some caddies from a different model...but I take a closer look at the "blanks," and they don't look like they have the same mechanism and spacing as hot-swap bays I've used before (yes, I know technically the 3930 has "cold swap" bays - they're similar sized caddies).  

I feel like I have to be missing something, because Dell releasing a product that you have no means of installing drives after the fact seems....odd.  Like...why even let me choose what size the blanks are if I can't buy caddies?  Is there another caddy that should fit into this chassis? 

(yes, they advertise the Precision 3930 as a workstation, and I have a consumer chip in it, but I still figure the Server forum would know more about bays like this)

December 10th, 2018 22:00

So.  I dunno what mod moved me into this forum, but yea I specifically said in the original post why I put it in the Server forum.  Couple days later and no response from this forum.  

At any rate, I xposted over onto the Dell Reddit and finally got some traction.  Seems like the caddies from the r240/r340 (and POSSIBLY r740) are the same design.  Can't find any for sale that claim compatibility for the r240 or r340, but snagged one that claims compatibility with the r740.  I'll report when it comes in. 

1 Message

September 11th, 2019 05:00

@BCGrahamMusic, I have the same issue as you. Did you manage to get a suitable one?

No Events found!