Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

February 1st, 2022 11:00

Precision 5820 No Bootable Devices found.

Hi,

we have 5 Precision 5820 workstations. One of them was send back for warranty service. After we picked it up back, we reinstalled OS. After reinstallation we notice that the system is not working stable. We decided to swap SSD NVMe drive with another same PC. After that the problem with "No bootable devices found" appeared on both computers.

I have tried everything. Various settings in BIOS, BIOS default restore, CMOS reset. 

The NVMe drive is not even showing up in BIOS (PCIE devices> Mini-SAS PCIe SSD).

I installed SSD in the bay of the Precision and it works just fine.

Why does this happened? 

What can I do more to fix the problem?

Regards!

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

February 1st, 2022 16:00

I see it quite often. It should be in the FAQ. there is a bug with drive detection if some custom installation was performed. in my case, admin reinstalled OS as MBR boot, then we tried reinstalling it back as GPT/UEFI, but the disk had disappeared. It is actually visible in OS recovery, in LINUXes. But you need to clean the zero sector in order for bios to see it.

8 Wizard

• 

6.2K Posts

February 1st, 2022 18:00

@piopio , If your system originally installed by Dell, the boot drive is probably in the top flexbay.  Just make sure that the NVMe tray is fully inserted in the adapter and correctly fit in the backplane.  Some people have install the adapter up side down and the safety pin prevented it from connecting to the backplane.

Just some thoughts.

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2022 02:00

Is secure boot deactivated ? ( just in case is messing around )

February 12th, 2022 08:00

Also the Daughter board in the back of Modular flex bay  can be the cause of  SSD NVME NOT BEING DETECTED 

No Events found!