Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

14 Posts

January 24th, 2021 19:00

Precision 5820@Xeon W-2245 Current/EDP limit throttling.

Xeon W-2245 is a new generation of high performance Xeons, the one with the highest clock rate essential for classic computation and simulation software (not the one with the highest power package).
That was the main reason why I ordered particularly that CPU.

However, when starting a computation, the motherboard immediately issues Current/EDP limit throttling.

I think, it is not right, and probably the board was tuned for more power-hungry multicore CPU's.
But the result is that the $13,000 priced system performs not better than a $3000 workstation-laptop.

The difficult part is that Dell has locked all the access to VRM/current limits tweaking, and I can not cut off this anchor with XTU or Throttlestop.

The new platform also have no "Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework" engine driver, for disabling it, and unchaining the CPU.

So, did anyone find a Current/EDP limit solution for Cascade Lake CPUs on Dell motherboards?
Is there any bios tweaking tool for these boards?

• 

25.7K Posts

January 25th, 2021 13:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

14 Posts

January 25th, 2021 18:00

I tried replying, but the bot ignores the tag telling it's incorrect. Please, replace the bot with working one.

• 

25.7K Posts

January 29th, 2021 04:00

Please DM us the information we have asked you in the previous message, we will be happy to assist you. 

14 Posts

January 29th, 2021 04:00

I have sent you the tag in text in direct PM

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

February 28th, 2021 21:00

Replied in PM.

The latest bios does not solve the issue.

Andy812_0-1614575990545.png

waiting for a fix.

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

February 28th, 2021 21:00

P.S. sorry for different account, logged from different machine/email

4 Operator

• 

1.1K Posts

March 1st, 2021 13:00

wow, sad to see your issue is still ongoing. And on this note, that's really a weird cpu load graph

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

March 1st, 2021 17:00

Interesting. Seems, it is a new issue with Cascade lake Xeons, and it is NOT related to full load.

I tried overloading it with 200% of simulation work and these spikes disappeared.

Now, do you remember what "Voltage droop" is? It is a very stupid way of fighnting the reactive current spikes when core load drops rapidly. The older CPUs were requesting down-voltage at high loads, which was leading to system instability.

Now remember, that there are (roughly speaking) 3 types of throttle: 1)NOP cycles, 2)Clock down 3)protective full core halt

Number 2 and 3 should increase spikes. but carefully spreading NOPs in the conveyor can probably smooth down the spikes. But for that you have to analyze the conveyor load in advance, or guess the load from a voltage drop on a resistor in Vcc circuit of other cores/whole package.

Seems like Cascade Lake is able to issue such throttling NOPs.... But I wonder how it decides when to do that?

Now look at the graphs. All the spikes happen at low load when cores are ALREADY underclocked and underloaded.

So probablym that is a resistive sensor in VCC circuit, and it is either oversensitive, or senses some noise.

The latter means, the VCC circuit is badly designed.

In the best case, the sensitivity can be tweaked by developers in BIOS, and I hope, DELL will do something about that. Because unneeded throttle reduces performance in real-life applications.

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

March 4th, 2021 07:00

And still, it is not good even in full load.

Just checked how it is going under multitask simulations. Still EDP current throttling, even without shift-downs.

Bad, very bad.

Andy812_0-1614870153002.png

49 Posts

March 7th, 2021 06:00

I have a t5810 using a e5-1650v3. Playing around with it I run into the same throttles. The bios has a hidden intel rcsetup menu. I have an external programmer and all the bios modification tools. I have tried flashing my machine a dozen times with a modded bios to gain access to these options. Dell did a very good job at setting many defaults to make other settings not take affect. If and when I figure out how to modify the variables in the efi modules I will have full control over the current limits. I know you have a newer machine but the same would apply. If I figure this out I will post back and go through with you on how to pull a bios dump and I'll modify it for you. It's very upsetting to have such an expensive machine and not be able to use all the power. I modify voltage using throttle stop right now but if I don't change anything I get throttling at 25 percent load instantly with that 6 core...... I also have a massive cpu cooler I custom installed and made a vrm heatsink.

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

March 7th, 2021 16:00

btw, VRM is no longer accessible from Throttlestop on my board. the only thing I could get from it is switching SpeedStep to SpeedShift, but it does not look very effective. Probably SpeedShift is already active, it should be on Cascade lake, and that speedstep bit was left there as irrelevant.

49 Posts

March 7th, 2021 17:00

I don't know if it applies to yours but on my t5810 the backdoor to voltage control and in my case overclocking is to put the pc to sleep, wake it back up then open throttle stop. You will have full voltage control. Again don't know if it will work on a 5820 board. The current limits can't changed though. Well I can change them but it doesn't actually work. I hit a hard throttle at 158 watts. The reason for trying to mod the bios.

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

March 14th, 2021 17:00

The trick with sleep does not work for me. Probably you have an old ThrottleStop, which just have some bug in UI. I use ver. 9.3

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

April 4th, 2021 23:00

Question to Dell: so, did you advance in solving this throttle issue?

2 Intern

• 

202 Posts

June 9th, 2021 20:00

Any news on this problem?

No Events found!