Start a Conversation

Unsolved

140 Posts

April 19th, 2021 10:00

Precision T1700 - Using ram slots

I have the Precision T1700 SFF using it as a desktop that has 4 memory slots. I have two slots populated with PC3 12800s so far. I have some 10600s and some 8500s laying around. Can I mix these in with the 12800s? Or should I stay with 12800s only.

I got a Xeon on this Precision.

Another question. I have 1 stick of 12800 as well. Can I use this for one slot and leave my other two slots populated? Or do I have to have both extra slots populated so all four slots are used. Otherwise I would have 3 slots populated. Does this matter?

202 Posts

April 19th, 2021 16:00

PC boards normally select the highest profile of the slowest available module. So, if the faster modules can work with slower profile, that's OK. But it is not always possible. Modern dimms have too many timing parameters, and it is easy to fall out of allowed operation range. Even when down-clocking. With buffered dimms it is easier, since logical pulse reactive smearing is compensated by these buffers, but it is not a panacea when down-clocking because the problem is not a pulse, but the refresh and row/col selection timing.

Do not mix modules of different voltage.

Do not put unbuffered dimms along with buffered, even if it seems mechanically possible.

Do not put very different unbuffered dimms in the same channel slots.

Avoid using dimms of different size/organization (ranks, per chip size).

1.5K Posts

April 20th, 2021 07:00

Yes, all 4 slots will need the same type of RAM, Have the same voltage, and same Timmings, it is best to duplicate what you already have. or add 4 new matching Sticks that are known to work on your motherboard. This is why RAM is sold in 2x or 4x of matching sets

Will any of these other RAM Stick may or may not work, may knock out your ability to even boot. The correct paths for upgrading RAM are well known. Getting away from these protocols can and will have unknown results mostly none that are better.

140 Posts

April 26th, 2021 17:00

Great information but I had this question about my T1700 about using three slots instead of four. Here I will copy and paste my last question as seen above.

I have only 1 stick of 12800 in my collection left. Can I use this for one slot and leave my other two slots populated for a total of 3 slots? Or do I have to have both extra slots populated so all four slots are used. Does this matter? I always thought that to populate 2 slots so they work together like dual channel? Or am I wrong about this?

If I don't get the right answer I will just go try it and stick one more stick in and leave one slot empty. I don't want to mix the speeds.

1.5K Posts

April 27th, 2021 14:00

Sure you can drop it in. that channel will run at half speed. For Dual Channel to work you have to have matching pairs or compatible stick in both slots IE 1600 in Dual mode, can only run at 800. The way it works it each module runs at 800 and in dual channel, 800 x 2 = 1600 All manufacture advertise this way.

No Events found!