Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

40 Posts

August 16th, 2018 21:00

Precision T1700 - where to put 3rd hdd?

I am dealing with a Precision T1700 and need to add another hdd (actually a ssd). When I opened it up I was astonished to see that there are exactly two hard drive cages, plus the dvd cage which has space for another 5.25" device. The two main hdd bays are already occupied by hdd in raid 1. There isn't even a third SATA 3 port on the motherboard.

I'm used to building my own pcs. I find it incredible that a config like this considered a workstation layout by dell. Close to zero expandibility.

Is there a "normal" was to adding a third hdd? I could use the remaining front panel 5.25" bay but mounting a tiny ssd in that seems kind of absurd. I could always look for a bracket that goes from 5.25 to 2.5, but is there some other option?

• 

16.8K Posts

August 17th, 2018 05:00

uniquehandle,

Below is a link to the online manual for the Precision T1700 as well as the storage specs for the T1700 MT and SFF chassis.

Dell Precision T1700 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

Bays: MT SFF
5.25 inch Optical Bay (External) 2 0
Slimline Optical Bay (External) 0 1
Optical Drives Supported (maximum) 2 1
Hard Drive Bay Supported (Internal) 4 (2x 3.5" or 4x 2.5") 2 (1x 3.5" or 2x 2.5")
Hard Drives Supported 3.5"/2.5" (maximum) 2 / 4 1 / 2
Interface: MT SFF
SATA 2.0 (MT/SFF optical or 3rd/4th Hard Drive on MT) 2 1
SATA 3.0 (MT/SFF Hard Drives) 2 2
3.5" Hard Drives: MT SFF
2TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
500GB SATA 7200 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
500GB SATA 1000 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
2.5" Hard Drives: MT SFF
256GB SATA Solid State Drive Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
500GB SATA 7200 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
500GB OPAL SED with FIPS SATA 7200 RPM HDD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.
32GB mSATA SSD Image - Illustrates a check mark. Image - Illustrates a check mark.

August 17th, 2018 07:00

Then I have the MT chassis.

No workaround for adding a ssd other than the 5.25 ext bay? I'm really amazed that this "workstation" with a decent sized tower is such a wimp inside.

1 Message

February 5th, 2022 04:00

to install 3 SSDs in your Precision T1700 SFF you will need to buy a PCIE 6Pin to 3*SATA  Modular Power Cable the hard drives will have to be 2.5 inch, note that in this version DVD bay drive will be disabled and just for show.

to physically connect the disks, pack them together with office tape the 3 disks all faced the same side, remove only the flat pin and leave the rubber and use a normal screw, you wont be able to tighten to the normal length of the screw but will be enough to hold the disks in place, you can make additional holding by adding more tape on the back in to the slide bay itself since disks will be shorter.

if you really want insist to have the DVD bay running you'll have to buy a USB external adaptor and loop from outside from of the case port back in to the DVD bay if the remainder of your 3 pin ports are in use with fans or others, other wise you can take more power from there into an internal USB adapter, its important not exceed the recommended voltages of the 6 pin port(3 devices) using the default power supply 

6 Posts

February 7th, 2022 14:00

I picked up a T1700 sff at the recycle center that didn't have any drive cages. I simply taped the ssd  to the top of the power supply. It doesn't need to be in an official caddy. Tape it to anything, use your imagination.

No Events found!