Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

1 Message

December 28th, 2018 13:00

T1650 possible bios damaged

I have a dell Precision T1650. I installed Windows 10 on two SATA SSDs (RAID 1)  long time ago. alone with two 4TB sata drive also RAID 1. 

Recently I am trying to reuse this computer. I found I have no option to press F2 to enter BIOS or F12 to boot menu. no dell log, no post. it is only showing black screen. It will boot into windows 10. everything works fine.

I have tried release the CMOS battery for more then 1 hour. doesn't fix anything. 

the current bios version is A24

I tried refresh the newest bios from dell command update and the stand alone bios upgrade exe. it is showing prepare the bios update. and then the system will reboot with black screen then boot into windows 10 again. the bios version stay as A24. 

so I guess the bios is damaged. I followed the steps from dell bios recovery tool.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

I renamed the newest bios A28 as BIOS_IMG.rcv saved to a usb drive (fat32). start the computer while holding ctrl+esc. tried many times, different usb drives, different bios A24, A27 and A28 with newly formatted usb drive or a bootble usb drive.  none of them showing me the bios recovery page. 

any suggestions will be really appreciate.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 18:00

I don't know that your BIOS is damaged, but make sure the max SSD capacity isn't more than what your T1650 can handle.  Otherwise, that can cause problems.  A little tricky answering this one since you also said it still boots to Win10.

Nothing about SSD's in the owner's manual.  I don't see tech guides on Dell's website anymore.  So I asked Crucial about the max capacity listed:

"The maximum capacity SSD we have is 2TB, so if you were to install two drives into your Precision Workstation T1650, you would be able to achieve 4TB in SSD storage. The part number for the 2TB SSD is: CT2000MX500SSD1.

If you have further questions, we welcome your reply. You can also visit our Contact page at http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-contact for other ways to reach us."

With computers being more sensitive to SSD max capacity than HDD, sometimes it's the first thing I check.

Also, if there's other expertise as to your situation, that's fine too.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

January 4th, 2019 18:00

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 06:00

Hello,

I have the same problem.

Windows boots properly and everything works just fine. But the first time you can see something on the screen is when the windows lockscreen appears.

So if I press F2 or F12 while starting my Precision T1600, the screen stays black and i can't see if i entered to BIOS or not. Propably yes, because then windows isn't booting and the black screen stays, but how can i solve this problem? Cmos Reset didn't help as well.

Anybody has an idea or solution?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 26th, 2020 13:00

Since the above posts from 2018-2019 were made, sometime ago I read it has to do with PC not recognizing GPU card, but Windows does.  PC doesn't see your card until Windows boots.

The only workaround I know of is when you want to enter BIOS or BOOT Menu, is onboard VGA, which means uninstalling GPU.

I don't know if your BIOS has a setting to manually select where video goes vs. auto detect.  If it does, you could try setting on both, use iGPU and GPU card.

No Events found!